Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:28 PM   #11

Many Ebay traders can also be found on-line and they're not fly by night guys they have been around a long time and do a lot of international business.

http://www.portusdigital.com/

Warranty & Returns:

Are my products covered under warranty?

Quote from

Yes. All products come with a 1 year manufacturer warranty. All you need to do is to retain your invoice.

Some of our products automatically have 2 or even 3 year UK warranty's and this is shown on each applicable product.

Can I buy an extended warranty?

Yes. A 1 year extended warranty is available for any camera. The maximum warranty period we offer is 3 years but check when you purchase as some of our products already include this as standard. If it doesn’t and you would like an extended warranty, just select it at checkout and it will automatically be added to the camera you purchase.

On-line browsing, in many offers, it can mean up to nearly 50% reduction over other outlets (Gives you some idea of the profit made from the photographic trade)

Last edited by musket; Jun 14, 2015 at 12:56 PM.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket View Post
Many Ebay traders can also be found on-line ...
Some. Not "Many". Some.

Quote:
... and they're not fly by night guys ...
Again, some. "on-line" does not automatically mean "reputable".

You have found an eBay retailer you are comfortable with, and I trust your judgment, but I wouldn't extend that to all eBay retailers.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:34 PM   #13

I still have a eos 20d in service, similar age.
Being functional and still fully capable does not save it from being a dinosaur.

I considered the processing and imaging hardware in my 7d-mkii to be at least n-1 if not n-2 gen the day I bought it, and that body is only a few months old.

However you nailed the point I was trying to make,
the next greatest is always just around the corner and the old keep on working.

So get off the upgrade treadmill.
Pick what works for you and stick with it.
Only upgrade if the new will bring a capability you really need (not a perceived want) to progress.
(Unless you have a lot of disposable spare cash to keep lining the makers pockets. )
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:45 PM   #14

Yes there are some reputable sellers on ebay, I buy from a few upon occasion.
Like B&H and Henry's real large B&M shops that also sell some items on ebay.
But so are a lot of not so reputable sellers that also claim to have on-line (Meaningless anyone can open an inexpensive web site) presence and B&M stores which if you check on them are located in Brooklyn alley ways.

And I would not put much trust any of their ebay stated warranties,
you can say anything you want in a ebay store ad.
Then try resolve issues by filing ebay claims against the sellers when it turns out not to be so good a deal.

It is buyer beware, if the price looks too good there is something not right with that deal.

Quote:
Many Ebay traders can also be found on-line and they're not fly by night guys they have been around a long time and do a lot of international business.

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 14, 2015 at 3:51 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:20 PM   #15

As I transition from Nikon to Sony, have been doing this for Sony/Zeiss glass but works with Nikon as well. Skip Ebay and gray-market, with the strength of the US$, look at authorized dealers in Canada. Worst case, may have to send to Canada for repair, but Nikon stated if bought from authorized dealer in foreign country, they would cover. Question was framed "stolen while on job/travel overseas and need to replace" so shipped to your USA home on the receipt from Canada may be an issue. With Sony, I noticed the warranty was actually better - 2 yrs vs. 1 yr and included accidental damage, where Sony US upsells it. Have no idea of Nikon Canada warranty details.

Now the reason ignore gray market. Using the 14-24 f2.8 used earlier, lists for CDN$2399.99, but they have lens only sales. "In the Basket" price is CDN$2049.99. Current exchange rate USD to CDN is $1.30, so subtract 30% for US$1434.30. Not every Canadian company will ship outside Canada, but a few will. Also, check return policy as typically not as generous as the majors in USA.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote