Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:50 PM   #1

Default grey market Nikon camera/lens repaired by any service centers?

Have you ever sent grey market Nikon camera/lens to be repaired by any non Nikon service centers?

I know the disadvantages of having/buying a grey market Nikon lens/camera. Nikon doesn't offer any repairs or technical support. My question: DOES Nikon supply parts to non-Nikon authorized repair centers? I have heard that lot of grey market Nikon owners use nikoncamerarepair.com for repair. Have you used them? nikoncamerarepair.com does repair grey market lenses but I am wondering whether Nikon supplies them the required original Nikon parts?

I am planning to buy a lens. The price difference is $500 between the grey and the authorized lens.

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:17 PM   #2

Nothing much goes wrong with lenses that doesn't become immediately apparent when you first use it and can still return it.

If I could save $500 on a lens by getting a grey market model, I don't think I'd hesitate.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Nothing much goes wrong with lenses that doesn't become immediately apparent when you first use it and can still return it.

If I could save $500 on a lens by getting a grey market model, I don't think I'd hesitate.
I had problems with lenses 6 months after purchase. The problem is what happens if the lens dies 3 years later. Nikon will refuse fixing it even if I pay for it. That's the problem.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:41 PM   #4

If the $500 difference is between a $1,000 lens and a $500 lens, you buy the gray market lens, throw it away if it goes bad, and buy another.

If the $500 difference is between a $5,000 lens and a $4,500 lens, you buy the legitimate one.

Stabilized lenses are less reliable than unstabilized lenses. Zoom lenses are less reliable than primes. What are we talking about?

Last edited by TCav; Apr 12, 2015 at 6:45 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Nikon 14-24mm 2.8
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:49 AM   #6

That's a $2,000 lens. $500 off means you can get a gray market version for $1,500, which is about what a used copy in excellent condition goes for.

Personally, I'd get the used one.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That's a $2,000 lens. $500 off means you can get a gray market version for $1,500, which is about what a used copy in excellent condition goes for.

Personally, I'd get the used one.
Thanks so much!
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:29 AM   #8

Some Ebay sellers are offering up to a three year warrenty with their cameras/lenses and they are a lot cheaper than the local stores.

A camera that is more than 3 years old has generally been superseeded by one with more technology and refinement for the same or less price.

Last edited by musket; Jun 14, 2015 at 3:46 AM.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:11 AM   #9

Re: ebay
ebay sellers appear and disappear just as fast.

If you buy off ebay it is to try to get cheap items (and I frequently see bidders paying a lot more for items than they are worth by getting caught up in bidding wars, then finding the shipping and currency conversion wipes out any possible savings.)

Any warranty provided by an ebay seller you are most likely just fooling yourself.

If you are on the upgrade treadmill any camera that is even a year old is already obsolete.
They are obsolete when you can first buy then in the stores, as the next generation is already in the works by the time the current generation is announced.

Good lenses stay with you, the bodies have become disposable commodities.

Quote:
A camera that is more than 3 years old has generally been superseeded by one with more technology and refinement for the same or less price.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
If you are on the upgrade treadmill any camera that is even a year old is already obsolete.
Obsolescent? Possibly.

Obsolete? Hardly.

Depending on the product and when you bought it during its lifecycle, obsolescence can be up to 3 years away.

I'm a moderator for the Sony Camera Club on Flickr, and I can tell you that many of our members are still capturing excellent photos with the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828, a digital cameras that was introduced in 2003. I'd say that it takes a lot longer than a single year for a digital camera to become "obsolete".

But, yes, seriously considering a 3 year warranty from an eBay retailer is probably not very wise.