Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:55 AM   #1
Dig

Default The King is Dead Long Live....

I don't come by here very often any more as it just seems sadly very quiet. But I just wanted to post an observation that I have made over the last several months.

I have Nikon 7100 with a set of lenses and have shot 35mm for over 40 years. Over the last few months I have been to several concerts, several states and many cities at different events and it seems no matter where I go I see a sea of cell phones used as a primary camera.

I even asked the lady I am dating if she would like me to buy her a pocket camera and she flat refused. She has several thousand photos on her phone and has no interest in anything else.

Whether at a concert, park, zoo, or just walking around it seems her opinion is shared by the majority of people. Very rarely do I see and kind of "regular" camera being used any more.

I was in NYC the other day and all I saw was a sea cell phones with a very few 35mms.

Whether we want to believe it or not the king is dying and a new king is on the rise.
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:26 PM   #2

There is a difference (sometimes quite vast) between 'people with cameras' and 'photographers'. I would venture to guess that you are not seeing any fewer 'real cameras' than before, just noticing the large number of people who are taking pictures with their phones, only because they have them.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:39 PM   #3
Dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
There is a difference (sometimes quite vast) between 'people with cameras' and 'photographers'. I would venture to guess that you are not seeing any fewer 'real cameras' than before, just noticing the large number of people who are taking pictures with their phones, only because they have them.
"One of the side effects of the rise in popularity of smartphones is a decline in compact camera sales.

In the first nine months of 2014 global camera shipments from Japanese manufacturers dropped by a third. The biggest drop saw fixed-lens cameras compacts fall 38.1% year on year."

No, I believe there are less cameras as I noted and the statistics seems to back me up.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:34 PM   #4

people today have no clue re:
garbage in - garbage out

they have no concept of actual photographic image quality

even in their 'music' they accept compressed garbage as hi-fi

a 500 meg CD (already down sampled at 44,000 bit/sec) is now compressed into a 15 meg MP3 simply dumping the 'unneeded' data - then fed into $300 headphones

a 4" screen seems sufficient to grad AND HOLD their attention

a far cry from Kodak's wall size blow-ups in grand central station

or an Angel studio master vinyl cut 'spinner'
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:15 AM   #5

If your not going to print your photos there no need to have a good camera.
Not many people print their photos.
The prints are too cumbersome to haul around, the phone is always with them. I have been making my living in the commercial printing industry since 1974. If it wasn't for the giant Pharma companies I would be working at Walmart. If you can't see it on a screen then the younger generation is not interested in it. Even I must admit that I rarely print any of my pictures anymore and I can get up to 24 x 36 high quality inkjet prints for free.
Now how many out there still have and listen to a portable AM/FM radio
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:41 PM   #6

I have a hand-crank short-wave that has am/fm in it.
And my old smartphone had radio built in, though that feature is gone in the newest generations.

But what you say is right on, a camera-club I visit canceled their monthly print competitions because no one was entering. Now they are digital files only for the competition entries.

Addendum: Over the last years I have also noticed the members equipment shrinking from medium format, to FF, to aps-c, to micro/mirrorless.
And quality of their resulting work has followed the downhill slide, along with the moves to faster and smaller and better and who really cares about the images toy equipment.
Equipment may be capable of good images, but the user no longer cares to take the time to do it right.

Even on this site you see people putting up images taken in the high contrast noon day sun with both the blacks blocked up and the highlights blown out as samples of how great their new equipment works.

And many high-volume consumer print shops are offering direct prints from smartphones now.
Instant mediocrity, what will they think of next!

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 4, 2015 at 2:58 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:24 PM   #7

Instant mediocrity...lol...
Oh, I STILL use audio cassettes on a daily basis...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:03 PM   #8

I still have 78RPM records, and the means to play them.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I still have 78RPM records, and the means to play them.
Me too but I never think to play them.
Saving my old Luxman and Thorens turntable. Maybe they will be in the Smithsonian some day
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:49 AM   #10
Dig

Luxman! Wow! I had a Luxman turntable and a receiver with McIntosh speakers and what a sound. I would buy the master vinyl records and there is no comparison to the junk they play today. It was warm with amazing fidelity. Everything is so compressed today it all sounds like tin. Some progress is not anyways good.