Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:42 PM   #11

D-Lighting/DRO isn't HDR. It's a dynamic adjustment of the ISO for certain portions of an image, in effect upping the ISO to 200 or 400 for portions of an image that would use an ISO of 100 for the majority of the image. It can work as well as HDR, it's faster, it's simpler, and it's in the camera.

And again, unless you're going to print, RAW is a waste.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:42 PM   #12

On Canon it is called lighting optimizer.

Only shoot raw,
Lightroom CC 2015 imports and stores the files as DNG and raw to two different locations simultaneously.
No reason to use anything else, storage is cheap.
Once imported Lightroom handles raw files as fast as it does jpgs you just have more data to work with.

You spend vast amounts of money on bodies and lenses, fret a lot about IQ and then dump a large portion of the captured information because it is more convenient?
Hilarious!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:29 PM   #13

TCav... Why is RAW a waste unless your printing...? Have you never shared or sold an image online- sent via e-mail... one whereby the client might want the best possible image quality available...?

Recent pic at Euro' weightlifting champs... one "ooc" jpeg, the other pulled from RAW file...
Need I say any more...?
Attached Images

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 19, 2015 at 4:42 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:52 PM   #14

Peter;
When a jpeg file is opened (in Windows, anyway), the file is decompressed to a bitmap, which is what you work on with editing software. When you save it again as jpeg, you are compressing the bitmap image you have been working on, not re-saving the jpeg image. I have tried opening and re-saving jpeg images and find that if you use the highest quality (least compression), there is no discernible difference in the quality of the image, even after 10 or more iterations.
OK, if you have a monitor and printer which can work with 16bit files, you may be able to get a final output better than available from jpeg, but how many of us can do that?
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:55 PM   #15

Hey guys, I'm still here, although I have avoided commenting, I am learning a great deal about RAW, more than I would had I googled it. Thanks to everyone more knowledgeable than I.

BTW, PSE11 comes with Camera Raw 7.1. Had to update to 7.4 before my RAW image would open.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
TCav... Why is RAW a waste unless your printing...?
If your images will only ever be displayed on an sRGB monitor, then any advantage RAW might have given you is lost when the image is finally displayed.

And, btw, editing a RAW file on an sRGB monitor negates any advantage working with RAW files might have given you in the first place.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 19, 2015 at 7:55 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Recent pic at Euro' weightlifting champs... one "ooc" jpeg, the other pulled from RAW file...
Need I say any more...?
Possibly. Like, maybe, which is which.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:44 AM   #18

You can get a decent monitor for under 1000$us capable of 14bit display, cheaper than any good lens or body and one heck of an upgrade for your editing capability.
(BTW: all the small format cameras 35mm and under are outputting only 14bit raw at this point, if you want 16bit or higher you need to move to a M/F back.)

I don't print at home, too much bother .
Files destined for printing are sent to a distributor that handles the printing, sales and distribution. They only accept 16bit tif or pdf files.

If you don't have the capability to handle 16bit now, future proof yourself by shooting raw for the day you do get equipment capable of handling it.
The price is coming down all the time, NEC already has a 24inch 4K 14bit monitor for just over 1000$us!
An Eizo that covers 99% of the adobe RGB colorspace will cost 2x to 3x times that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Peter;
When a jpeg file is opened (in Windows, anyway), the file is decompressed to a bitmap, which is what you work on with editing software.
Unfortunately the "raw vs jpg" is one of the dreaded forum religious topics that never ends. The people in the two camps will never convince each other to switch.

Last edited by PeterP; Jun 21, 2015 at 9:49 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:56 PM   #19

All I'll say is.... any shots I take RAW end up looking a great deal better post processing than the equivalent OOC jpeg... irrespective of what I plan to do with that image... and irrespective of whatever monitor I do the editing on...

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 21, 2015 at 2:01 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:47 PM   #20

Quote:
All I'll say is.... any shots I take RAW end up looking a great deal better post processing than the equivalent OOC jpeg... irrespective of what I plan to do with that image... and irrespective of whatever monitor I do the editing on...
How much better would your OOC JPEG images look if you spent as much time working on them as you do on our RAW images?