Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2004, 6:40 AM   #1

Default Regional get togethers

Ok, I know that this forum enjoys a world wide audience (isn't the Internet neat?!), but I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to have local "Steve's" gatherings. I'm in Virginia, and I notice that there are other DC area members on this board. So, anyone for a "Steve" gathering (no, I don't mean a gathering of Steves!).
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 7:48 AM   #2

Good idea. I'm in Manassas. What part of VA for you?
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:16 AM   #3

Hey tsquare!

I live in F.R. but work near Dulles. I sent you a PM with more details!

Old Mar 4, 2004, 10:05 AM   #4

Default Meet in VA

I am interested also. Photosig.com tried this but couldn't get enough people to show an interest.
broisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 10:54 AM   #5

Default Re: Meet in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by broisman
I am interested also. Photosig.com tried this but couldn't get enough people to show an interest.
Yeah, I saw that on Meetup.com.

Here's a copy of the message I sent to tsquare:

There is a photo club that meets in Manassas. I checked them out and also went to another club here in the Ashburn area. Nothing against camera/photo clubs, but they are just not "with it" when it comes to digital. You have to submit all your images as actual prints or slides for display or judging. I just don't have the money in the budget to do prints of every image I want critiqued!

Maybe we can get together! I am going to shoot the Cherry Blossoms around the Tidal Basin on April 7. That is a Wednesday. I am going as part of Washington Photo Safari and the cost is $69. BTW, I am going at sunrise! More information on the sunrise safari can be found here. Just scroll down to where it says "All-Digital Cherry Blossom Sunrise Special."

Let me know if you're interested in doing this safari, or if you just want to hook up sometime.

-Neal
Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:41 AM   #6

I am actually getting involved in a meeting from another forum/website.

I think that the reason I'm doing it is because we already had something in common (nature photography.) So this naturally led to setting up and meeting at a place that would interest us all. If you wanted to pull something like this off, you need something that brings the people together.

If someone posted "hey, I've arranged to get some models, lets go to the park and shoot as a group!" I wouldn't really be interested. If, on the other hand, they said "I'm going to a butterfly house, anyone want to shoot butterflies?" I might just do that.

At least in my mind, if you want to have a photography get together, then you'll have the problem of what type. I know from threads of conversation here that I don't agree with some of the people here on some serious issues... but that doesn't stop us from talking photography on this forum. On the other hand, that doesn't necessarily mean I'd want to go to a social gathering with them.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 12:26 PM   #7

Erik,

Like you, I am more interested in nature photography (actually, anything non-people ... floral, buildings, etc...) and also be more interested in a butterfly exhibit verses doing a model shoot. So, yes, there are many different subjects of interest within photography, but we all have one thing in common, and that's photography.

Fellowshiping here on Steve's with my fellow photogs is fine with me, but getting together in person isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've met other photogs here in NoVA. We don't socialize on a regular basis, but it would be nice to have someone you can call up and say, "Hey! I'm going to take pictures of the Iwo Jima Memorial, want to come with me?" Plus, that way it allows you to use the carpool lanes!
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:43 PM   #8

And that is my point. The subject says "regional get togethers" but the type isn't mentioned. My point was that if you really want this to work, you have to be specific. I assumed it was for photography, but you didn't say.

And carpool lanes are very handy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
And that is my point. The subject says "regional get togethers" but the type isn't mentioned. My point was that if you really want this to work, you have to be specific. I assumed it was for photography, but you didn't say.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but if I meant it to be a "Brownie Baking Get-Together" I wouldn't have posted it on a photography board.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 3:08 PM   #10

I would assume that since this is a digital photography forum, that these regional get togethers would be in regards to digital photography and maybe some shoots. Why else would this be posted?

I think it is a great idea. I am starting to see quite a few people located around my area on this forum and it could be a good idea to put together a trip to a nature shoot.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote