Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 1, 2002, 3:08 AM   #11

Default E-100RS or C-2100

I personally feel that i won't find a better camera then the Olympus C-2100 in that price range, however, i could still not make up my mind in choosing between the legendary Oly E-100RS and the 2100,
I am impressed by the features of the 100RS but the 1.5 Megapixels hold me back in taking the plunge,
Please help me in deciding between the two, i won't mind going in for the 100RS even if it crosses the $550 range
Thanks everyone for all the help.
ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 3:18 AM   #12

Have thought about the 100 rs, other 2100 UZI owners that have both have told me they use the 2100 alot more, have ever had a camera as much fun as the 2100.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 5:31 AM   #13

Default Try Canon A40

I find that the Canon A40 is worth the price. Advantages: 2 MP; Macro; Panorama; video-clips with sound; optical zoom (3x); slow shutter speed (8 sec.); uses AA size batteries. The price is only $300 plus. The pictures look great!
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 6:14 AM   #14

Mathew
One of the most important requirements in my kind of camera is a long range OPTICAL zoom lens, i.e more then the 250 mm range (35mm equi.) , the A40 does not fit the bill as it is having only 3X optical zoom which extends to a max of 105mm.
Thanks
ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 8:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by ajitkataria
Mathew
One of the most important requirements in my kind of camera is a long range OPTICAL zoom lens, i.e more then the 250 mm range (35mm equi.) , the A40 does not fit the bill as it is having only 3X optical zoom which extends to a max of 105mm.
Thanks
ajeet
Longer zoom lens which built in to the little compact digicam not always the quality optical zoom lens, the mfg will try to cut the corner somehow to keep the cost down. If they try to build an expensive long zoom lens in on of these camera, they may not sell them very well. In general, you are right on the money if you pick the camera with the moderate zoom range between 28mm and 135mm.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:13 AM   #16
lg

If the E-100RS was the same price as the C-2100, I would have bought it instead of the C-2100. Steve's review put it well...The E-100RS could be called a C-2100UZ on steroids --

As it has all of the same features of the C-2100 and more, I would opt for the E-100RS. The only decision you will have to make is how much difference 2.1MP makes over 1.5. For me, I'd take the cut in a heartbeat to get the capacity to do 15fps when and if I needed it.

[Edited on 9-5-2002 by lg]
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 12:49 PM   #17

Default Fuji 602Z

Well i just got a Fuji 602Z online for 592 total with shipping. Now i know thats a little more than you wanted to spend but not by much, it takes AA batteries has both compact flash and smartmedia slots, has a 6X optical zoom. It takes far better pictures than that old E-100RS and it does a burst mode of 5-FPS at full resolution. I wouldnt even consider spending 500 bucks and only getting 1.3 mega pixel, you will be sorry if you do. If you can just spend a little more you will have a camera that will last you a long time. Take a look at the sample pictures you get here at steves reviews and compare them to ethier the E-100-RS or the olympus C-2100 and i think you will change your mind about either of those cameras. Plus with the Fuji 602Z you have enough pixels to crop pictures and still have excellant photos.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 3:06 PM   #18

I adore the Olympus C-2100uz. The image stabilization is awesome - works great. You can't beat the 10x optical zoom for qualtiy, either. I take macro shots from 5' away using that zoom and they're crisp as anything.

Here's a picture taken at 1/40sec with no tripod (held with one hand, even) and no flash: http://gardenwife.com/images/dogscape.jpg

And here is one showing wide vs. zoom comparison:
http://gardenwife.com/images/zoomex.jpg

The image stabilization sets it far above the C-700 and C-720, IMHO. We got our Olympus factory reconditioned one on eBay for $417 including shipping, and it came with 4 batteries, a charger, cables, RM-1 remote, software (all the standard out of the box stuff), plus an extra 64mb smartmedia card. You can't go wrong with this camera. :P

[Edited on 9-5-2002 by Gardenwife]
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 8:13 PM   #19
jms

dc9mm,

Where did you get the Fuji for that price?
I like the camera.

Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by dc9mm
Well i just got a Fuji 602Z online for 592 total with shipping. Now i know thats a little more than you wanted to spend but not by much, it takes AA batteries has both compact flash and smartmedia slots, has a 6X optical zoom. It takes far better pictures than that old E-100RS and it does a burst mode of 5-FPS at full resolution. I wouldnt even consider spending 500 bucks and only getting 1.3 mega pixel, you will be sorry if you do. If you can just spend a little more you will have a camera that will last you a long time. Take a look at the sample pictures you get here at steves reviews and compare them to ethier the E-100-RS or the olympus C-2100 and i think you will change your mind about either of those cameras. Plus with the Fuji 602Z you have enough pixels to crop pictures and still have excellant photos.
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:09 PM   #20

JMS i got mine at buydig.com i got just the standard model as they sell whats called an excutive package which i didnt bother. I bought just the camera which comes with all standard assesories, the cables, software, manual ,alkaline AA (kinda a joke the batteries) lens cap, and its brand new with USA warranty card. It was 566 plus 25 for ground shipping, i got mine in 4 days. I really think for the money its one of the best you can by right now. I also considered the Canon G2 but with only 3X optical on it i chose the 602 plus i was replacing a S304 which had 4X optical so i wasnt going to go down in zoom!!
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote