Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2002, 7:32 AM   #1

Default Best Digital Camera in the ballpark range of $500.

Friends,
Please help me decide on the best digita camera in the price range of $500 (+/- $50),

My preference for the manufacturer is as follows;

1st Preference:
Nikon, Olympus or FujiFilm

2nd preference:
Canon, Minolta and Sony.

Earlier I had Zeroed in on the Olympus E-100RS, due to it's professional features, but then decided against it because if it's low image resolution (1.5MP). As it would not be a viable option for me to upgrade on a regular interval due to money constraints, i look forward to a camera which i intend to keep for a couple of years.
Thanks in Advance
Ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2002, 8:36 AM   #2

YOU PROBABLY CAN GET THE CANON S40 OR THE SONY P9 IN THAT RANGE...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 9:03 AM   #3

I'm a Minolta guy- got the S404 for under $500-- 4MP - 4x zoom- nice features both manual and a good auto mode. If you're in europe you'll have a hard time finding one- in the US you can stop by Target or Wlamart. (take out a target credit card and get 10% off your purchase - dropping it to $450)

The Nikon 4500 looks to be a great camera but I think it's at the $600 mark (4mp 4x zoom the Nikon macro- uses the same add on lenses from the 900 series)- it swivels which I hate, but a lot of Nikon users love it and think it's a classic design. Maybe a Nikon 885- they've dropped in price, but can still be found.

I don't like any of the new Fujis and don't trust their SUPER CCD stuff. Totally personal bias- since I took back my 4900.

Canon- S40- maybe you can find for under $600. Nice little camera- I personally hated the control layout, but once again personal taste. More likely you'd have to go to the S30 (the 3mp version) to keep the price under $550.

Maybe the Olympus 4040 will drop in price now that the 5050 is coming out-- doubt it will go all the way to $500- but it's a great camera.

Tough choices-- I went with the S404 because I was trying to stay near the $500 mark- by the time I got a 128MB CF card, and dropped $40 in AA Nimh batteries and a charger I was back up near $550.00. I also got a cheap $8 bower UV filter to protect the lens from scratches. Other costs to consider.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:39 AM   #4

I think you can get the Canon S40 for the $500 range that you mentioned (they've just recently drop their prices). I don't have the problem with the Minotla, or Sony or Fuji cameras, at the 4 megapix range, I'm sure they'll take good pictures, and good pictures mostly depend on the skill of the photographer. Minolta built their camera on a very cheap plastic body, if you pick up the Canon or the Nikon and then the Minolta, you will know exactly what I'm talking about( would you then consider this piece as your personal asset?, you will have to decide it for yourself), you can also feel it right away at the time you hold them, beside I like the Canon and the Nikon better because not just the quality built bodies, but the features, the reputation in the photographic world, and the media device they used (CF and its memory size), I don't like at least for now the available memory stick and the smart media, not very popular by demand, limited size of MB, for the 4 to 6 megapix cameras, you will need at least the memory device in size 256MB or more to carry in you bag. Another factor to look at (purely personal opinion), when you're buying the camera, look at the bottom of the camera, if it said "Made in Japan", it probably better built camera than the one that made in China or Taiwan..., but it probably cost more to buy the better one also. Just my .02 cents...

[Edited on 8-23-2002 by [email protected]]

[Edited on 8-23-2002 by [email protected]]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 11:44 AM   #5
NHL

Another biais opinion here over the Minoltas. The S404 (aluminum), just like the D7 (magnesium) is not made out of plastic even though they look and feel like it because of the silvered body, which a lot of people love to hate. They are actually good for traveling light! and remember beauty is only skin deep... The rechargeable NiMh AA of the S404 surely beats the proprietary LiIon on cost, and the S404 takes CF as well as the microdrive (which is a must with cheap NiMh AA)!

Shall I bring up the polycarbonate D60 body or the cracking G2 cases? "Highly durable aluminum case" as Steve called the Dimage S404 in his review...

Decent filter thread is also something that others 'Pro' manufacturers leave out...

[Edited on 8-23-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by ajitkataria
Friends,
Please help me decide on the best digita camera in the price range of $500 (+/- $50),

My preference for the manufacturer is as follows;

1st Preference:
Nikon, Olympus or FujiFilm
You should be able to pick up an Olympus C-720 for that. Failing the 720, the 700 is regularly available at about $499. The C-720 lists at $599 but can be had for less than even from reputable places (like B&H). 3mp, 8x optical zoom on the C-720. I've got one, and I love it.

Of course, you've left out the obvious, and that's what you'll actually be using the camera for. Read the review at http://www.steves-digicams.com and then feel free to ask specific questions.
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 1:19 PM   #7

Not as easy picking a camera as it sounds eh?

Just to chime in- 404 is aluminum- trust me I scratched a corner pretty good(should clarify- I bounced the camera down some concrete steps: don't ever do that to whatever camera you buy- not a good feeling... rather gut wrenching watching $500 delicate electronic bit bounce on conrete)- defintely not plastic though-- it's just lighter than the S30/40 and new all metal Nikons. But the 404 does not take Microdrive- requires CF2 slot- 404 only has CF1 slot.

Can't argue that Canon and Nikon have market share over other companies with Oly in 3rd in digicams. Reputations were built over the years making film cameras though-- strong argument that the image resolution, sharpness and clarity of the Sony 707 is better than the Nikon 5700 (and D7i) (although I couldn't live with the feature set or mem stick of the sony) so I wouldn't necessarily go on name alone.

The Oly 720 with that 8x zoom- I'd consider... there's always a little give and take in sharpness when you push out the zoom range of a lens that far but the zoom on that cam is really nice. The 40z isn't bad it that range- but the 2.8x zoom is a little pitiful.

This is a tough one. Maybe you could let us know what you're going to use the camera for- instead of us debating why our own personal choice is better than someone elses personal choice.

[Edited on 8-23-2002 by whittonj]
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2002, 3:08 AM   #8

Default My Preferences

Hi Friends,
I shoot a lot of Candid Portraiture with my Nikon F90X amd Tamron 70-300, therefore i guess i would be requiring a digicam with a fairly decent optical zoom.
I do not care much about the digital zoom, however.
On the MegaPixel front, it should be above 2.5MP for a good resolution.
I realize that I may not be able to get the camera of my choice with all my requirements, but i might consider any of the cameras that might even come close to my requirements.
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2002, 2:05 PM   #9
lg

Default Don't shoot yourself in the foot!

Quote:

Earlier I had Zeroed in on the Olympus E-100RS, due to it's professional features, but then decided against it because if it's low image resolution (1.5MP). As it would not be a viable option for me to upgrade on a regular interval due to money constraints, i look forward to a camera which i intend to keep for a couple of years.
Thanks in Advance
Ajeet

Hi Friends,
I shoot a lot of Candid Portraiture with my Nikon F90X amd Tamron 70-300, therefore i
guess i would be requiring a digicam with a fairly decent optical zoom.

I do not care much about the digital zoom, however.
On the MegaPixel front, it should be above 2.5MP for a good resolution.
I realize that I may not be able to get the camera of my choice with all my requirements,
but i might consider any of the cameras that might even come close to my requirements.

Lower megapixel resolution doesn't necessarily mean poorer picture quality. Consider the Olympus C-2100. While it doesn't meet your criteria of 2.5MP, you won't find a better optical zoom, and this one's digitally stabilized! Unless you require prints larger than 8x10, I believe you will be very happy with this camera. You won't find a more complete package for under $500. It takes sharper and more properly exposed pictures than I have been able to achieve with a 3MP Nikon Coolpix 995.

[Edited on 8-31-2002 by lg]
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 2:06 AM   #10

Default Some info to consider

Like WhittonJ, I also own a Minolta S404 and yes just like he did dropped mine, not on cement but in a recently cooled lava field in Hawaii while taking some flowing molten lava shots. Camera still works beautifully, what else can you say about durablity!
As a good all around general purpose digi-camera it's great. I do have a few drathers; 1) Wish the on/off rotary switch was better designed, it clicks on too easily and accidentally, 2) The LCD display on top of the camera is a great idea but they could have gone one step further by backlighting it, you need a flashlight to see it while taking photos at midnight in a lava field. Need I say more?
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote