Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:52 PM   #1

Default It is a very basic question. How do you upload DSLR images to Instagram

It is a very basic question.... How do you upload non iphone (DSLR) images to Instagram? It looks like I can only upload images I have taken with my phone....Is that ture? Can I use an android phone?
I would like to upload my wedding photography work onto Instagram.
Please help!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:09 AM   #2

Last I knew, Instagram only allowed you to upload photos from your mobile device, whether that's an Android or iOS smartphone or tablet with the app installed.

In order to upload photos taken from different devices, you have to transfer the image files to your smart device. I usually email myself the photo I want to put on Instagram, that way I can download it to my phone.

Also, note that Intagram uses a 1:1 aspect ratio, so you need to upload square photos. If you have a 4:3, 3:2 or 16:9 aspect image, it will cut off the edges. So, if you really want to show off your photo, it pays to crop it beforehand to 1:1.

I hope this helps. I'm not an Instagram expert, however I have used it quite a bit. Good luck!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:17 PM   #3

I don't use the service, so can't say for sure, but there are Android emulators which let you run Android apps in Windows, so you may be able to use it that way. I believe bluestacks is the one I'm thinking of, and it is freeware.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:46 AM   #4
TG

You can upload DSLR photos to Instagram from your phone. Here is what I do to get my photos on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5). Transfer files from my Olympus cameras via Wi-Fi to my phone with the Olympus Image Share app. DSLR photos transfer from PC to phone via Wi-Fi (Have an app called PhotoTransfer and a PC version which allows you to transfer & receive photos), use Dropbox or simply connect my phone with a USB cable to my PC and copy the photos across. Also have a Flickr account and upload my photos to here from my PC and can share them with Instagram from the Flickr app on my phone.
So the are a few different ways of getting your non phone photos to Instagram I hope this helps you.

Last edited by TG; Feb 5, 2016 at 4:08 AM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami photographer View Post
It is a very basic question.... How do you upload non iphone (DSLR) images to Instagram? It looks like I can only upload images I have taken with my phone....Is that ture? Can I use an android phone?
I would like to upload my wedding photography work onto Instagram.
Please help!
As other's have mentioned you need to get the pictures from the DSLR onto a mobile device and then you can post to instagram.

A card reader that is compatible with your mobile device is needed if you don't have a WiFi enabled camera.

For android a microUSB OTG device like this is what you need, although for certain devices you may also need an app such as Nexus Media Importer

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-LDesig...TG+card+reader

For iPhone they make similar devices but of course they're more expensive, this is the official apple SD card to lightning reader

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightnin...ne+card+reader

You may have to hunt around if you need one that is CF compatible, but basically this is the idea, you copy the pictures to your device and post from there.

I also recommend Lightroom mobile too if you want to do some post processing.