Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:04 PM   #11

An off-topic forum will not mean that we will spend hours arguing about politics etc. It should be used as a place to post an interesting article or story not related to photography for the benefit of us all.

I know some people are slightly concerned, and for good reason I understand. But it should be remembered that all posts have subject titles so viewing is not forced upon anyone.

I would like to propose a 'trial' run on an off-topic forum for 4 weeks. I have forwarded this proposal to Steve.

I would quite happily moderate in this forum as I use the net every day. Perhaps someone would like to volunteer to assist me with such an endeavour for a 4-week period?

Regards,

Steve
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:28 PM   #12

After a bad experience at an off-topic forum, I wouldn't go near such a place again. The forum was composed of people from whom you'd expect nothing less than civility. The moderator was constantly having to delete people's posts.

Additionally, I feel exactly as Ohenry does. I come here for photography. Now and then, all of us get a little off topic, often in a humorous way, but to my mind, that's just a little seasoning to enhance the flavor.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBB
Well I wouoldn't mind seeing an off topic forum. The beauty of an off topic forum is that byou can ignore it or post on it.

The objections about chat room style teenage trash talk is addressed by the statement made; "moderated."

People WILL get angry - Pepple will FLAME each other. Within reason this is ok. A moderated forum deals with these problems by breaking offensive thread.

Ultimately photographers describe the real world - they cannot make believe that the issues that affect the real world do not affect them.

Environment? How can you photograph wildlife if it is being driven extinct?

Politics? Son't photographers cover wars and riots on an everyday basis? Are we different then those men and woman in the field?

The problem with having a forum about nikon lenses being disturbed by discussing the latest news about Global Warming is a legitimate objection - But there is no problem if these topics have their own forum.

I ignore most of the forums on this site - Why are people so freaked out be a the idea of a forum which they can easily ignore?

Dave
Your points about photographers covering such events is legitimate and I would gladly participate in a forum that discussed the merits of the photographic medium of such events. I just have no interest in arguing the socio-political-economic factors that drove the photographer to record it.

I'm not freaked out by having a forum I can ignore (which I will). He asked for opinions, I gave mine.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:43 PM   #14

And I thank you all very much for your opinions. I understand everybodies concerns and thank you for raising them so honestly.

The fact that people have these concerns is why I proposed a trial run of such a forum. If it does not work then no harm is done!

Am I right to assume no one will be against such a trial? Or do people really feel very strongly that it should not be started full-stop?

Regards,

Stephen
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:52 PM   #15

Quote:
If it does not work then no harm is done
I'd worry about this. I've seen a lot of harm done by such forums, feelings being soured enough that people dropped out of the entire group of forums.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:57 PM   #16

I understand your point Barbara.

That is why I feel a tight grip needs to be kept on the content of this forum. But unless we try new things, we do not know if they will work.

As a forum grows older it develops its own rules. These rules can be shaped initially and then controlled and redirected regularly.

It is just a trial, it can be stopped within days if required. And I take responsibility for any negative effects.

Come on......live a little everybody

Best Regards,

Steve
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:14 PM   #17

I would also say no. Such a forum would very likely attract rabid twits who would not confine themselves to the "off-topic" forum.

Off topic threads (such as this one) do show up at times and can be usefull/inormative/interesting/... They can also be summarily deleted.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:27 PM   #18

I disagree that such a forum would attract rabid twits!!

I doubt that anyone would come to this forum with the motive of finding and using only the off-topic forum! People who come here are interested in photography primarily, anything else is just an extra.

I have not witnessed many posts in the wrong forums here at Steve's. People understand the different areas and 99% of the time they do not 'spread' into other topic areas.

Bill are you suggesting that this post should be deleted now? And are some of the current users of this forum rabid twits such as those you describe?

I am really not sure why people would not give this a go for a few weeks. Is it really so bad?

Regards,

Stephen
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:44 PM   #19

This topic has indeed raised a lot of discussion, mostly negative.

In the end it all boils down to does "STEVE" want such a Non Sequitur forum taking up space and moderation time on his servers?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:48 PM   #20

Just about every forum site that I spend time in has some area for off topic conversation. It is nice, it allows people to connect in ways that they can't while sticking to the topic.

For example, while here I might say, "I was hiking with my Scouts and got some great pics of a mama bear and her cubs." Other Scout leaders here might prick up their cyber-ears at that and want to ask, "Hey, have you ever been to Camp Wuts-i-too-yah?" but can't.

Sure that could be asked in a PM but in an off-topic forum, a discussion could start about different camps. You discover that there are many people here that share an interest outside of photography and the feeling of community grows. It can even lead to more photography discussions like, "Dude, if you do go to Wuts-i-too-yah, you can get some awesome shots at the waterfall at dawn."

I vote "Yea".
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote