Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:46 PM   #41

'The path to our destination is not always a straight one. We go down the wrong road, we get lost, we turn back. Maybe it doesn't matter which road we embark on. Maybe what matters is that we embark.'

Barbara Hall, Northern Exposure, Rosebud, 1993
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:50 PM   #42

Sorry about that Stephen. This post has turned into such an off-topic chat room, that I can't remember what was first posted.

DOH!

No more replies from me. I will take Stephen's and my own advise and skip over it.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:52 PM   #43

I am completely against the idea of a[ny] forum on THIS site that does not relate to digital photography in some direct or indirect way.

It is simply rude to suggest using our generous host, Steve's server bandwidth for purposes that don't support the primary reason for this site's existence.

If you want a platform for expressing ideas not related to digital photography, then there are plenty of other places to do so.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:01 PM   #44

In fact jawz, I find the only rude thing about this topic was your last post.

And if 40% of people would like to see such a forum do you not think it is worth considering?

And I am sure Steve will not find my proposal to be rude. In fact, I am sure he is grateful for feedback and suggestions from people who post here and help promote his site.

Regards,

Steve
Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:45 PM   #45

[quote="stephendickey"]In fact jawz, I find the only rude thing about this topic was your last post.

I did not find anything rude in jawz post. I do however find it rude of you to cite him for just stating his opions that we are all entitled to.

[quote="stephendickey"]And if 40% of people would like to see such a forum do you not think it is worth considering?

Not really. I come here to talk photography, not the weather, not the latest new, etc. It is nice to see some off topic and some humor, but I like to primarily stick to the subject. That's why I came here aferall.

[quote="stephendickey"]And I am sure Steve will not find my proposal to be rude. In fact, I am sure he is grateful for feedback and suggestions from people who post here and help promote his site.

I tend to agree with jawz that it is rude of you to impose upon Steve's generosity without even having consulted him first. This is his site that he has graciously created for us to us to talk shop.

Regards,

Michael.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:23 PM   #46

Thank you for your comments mdparker.

I will address each in turn:

1) Where I come from it is bad manners to call someone rude before first discussing the facts. And did jawz not call me rude for giving my opinions?

I gave my opinion that we need an off-topic forum and jawz said I am rude for doing this. But here you say :

Quote:
I did not find anything rude in jawz post. I do however find it rude of you to cite him for just stating his opions that we are all entitled to.
So it is rude for me to call someone rude? But it is ok for jawz? I am a little confused by your conflicting message here. Perhaps you could clarify it for me? And yes everyone is entitled to an opinion. But when someone, who does not know me, insults me then naturally I am going to respond.

2)When I mentioned 40% of people would like to see such a forum so it is worth a try, you responded:

Quote:
Not really. I come here to talk photography, not the weather, not the latest new, etc. It is nice to see some off topic and some humor, but I like to primarily stick to the subject. That's why I came here aferall.
So I would be shocked if you are suggesting this 40% should be seen but not heard?

3)
Quote:
I tend to agree with jawz that it is rude of you to impose upon Steve's generosity without even having consulted him first. This is his site that he has graciously created for us to us to talk shop.
In fact I have consulted Steve about this matter in the form of a reasoned proposal. I am surprised you did not ask me about this first. How did you know if I had consulted Steve or not??

To be honest I am sad that this post has been degraded to this level by the posts of 2 people. And I am also sad that I have had to defend my actions to these people.

I hope Michael, that you will see some of your errors when you read this post. And if the off-topic forum is created, I hope you will choose your words more carefully. Because such mistakes can ruin a topic, which is exactly what we don't want in an off-topic forum.

I look forward to hearing your response to this post. You may feel it is more appropriate to send it to me in a personal message. But please, use your own judgement.

Best Regards,

Stephen
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:27 PM   #47

just for the record, this message is off topic

but i like the idea of haveing a off topic section

while your at it, how about a rant section :lol:
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:30 PM   #48

Bradg,

Thank you for your input.

I apologise to you for the current bad feelings in this post.

Regards,

Steve
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:34 PM   #49
hst

Default Stick to photography

I think Steve probably has his hands full with doing Photography. Forums typically take a lot of bandwidth. I sure with all the picture downloads and such his usage is probably already extremely high. I have seen a lot of new cameras coming out and he hasn't posted reviews on them, probably because he is busy just doing the good job at what he is currently doing. Speaking from experiance, successful sites normally stick to their nitch to attract people that fit that nitch. Some sites start to loose focus and the site suffers. There are a lot of good community sites so if thats what interests you, go to them.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:38 PM   #50

hst,

Thank you for your valued opinion.

Of course I understand this is a photographic forum.....but if such a percentage of people would like such a forum then maybe it is worth considering.

Best Regards,

Stephen