Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Do we want an 'off-topic' forum?

Does anyone think it would be useful to have an 'off-topic' forum here at Steve's?

I think we have people from around the world posting here so it would be an interesting place to share opinions and views on topical issues. And my that I mean topical issues not relating to photography!!!

Ok, so these issues can be controversial but with proper moderation no person should get too offended!!

I can't make a poll in this forum so please reply with a simple positive or negative response!!

Best Regards,

Steve
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:13 PM   #2

Just my opinion, but this is a photography forum and that is why I come here...not to discuss the latest political, social, or economic problems.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:20 PM   #3

I understand what you mean O'Henry.

At another forum which I am involved in (flight related) the off-topic forum was very successful.

This sounds strange because it actually made the site seem more like a community. People had a place to talk about issues with people who shared their interests.

We all enjoy photography here, but perhaps it would nice to see what else we have in common?

Just a thought, keep posting! Better to have 100 negative responses than none at all......so EVERYONE give your view on this please!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Steve
Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:47 PM   #4

OFF topic forum on my favorite overclocking/PC board nearly destroyed our forum.We had to stop it, cos it highly degraded quality of whole forum, and and attracted lot of post hunters.from beginning it was great it made the site seem more like a community. People had a place to talk about issues with people who shared their interests.But, but.....then ALL went wrong.
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 1:02 PM   #5

Marek, why did it go wrong and how did it degrade the quality of the forum?
Old Mar 5, 2004, 1:27 PM   #6

Some people(call them pusthunters/idiots/dummies/....) turned our board to teenage chat, and they had nothing better to do then post offtopic in all sections.Simply forum was eaten up by its popularity.And next big forums problem (in general) is that new members DO NOT USE SEARCH, but post same questions again and again insetad using search function and thats excatly what is happenig here right now!Tones of posts -what is better A80 or sony P72?....(most of issues are solved already) and it degrade quality the most.
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:02 PM   #7
DBB

Well I wouoldn't mind seeing an off topic forum. The beauty of an off topic forum is that byou can ignore it or post on it.

The objections about chat room style teenage trash talk is addressed by the statement made; "moderated."

People WILL get angry - Pepple will FLAME each other. Within reason this is ok. A moderated forum deals with these problems by breaking offensive thread.

Ultimately photographers describe the real world - they cannot make believe that the issues that affect the real world do not affect them.

Environment? How can you photograph wildlife if it is being driven extinct?

Politics? Son't photographers cover wars and riots on an everyday basis? Are we different then those men and woman in the field?

The problem with having a forum about nikon lenses being disturbed by discussing the latest news about Global Warming is a legitimate objection - But there is no problem if these topics have their own forum.

I ignore most of the forums on this site - Why are people so freaked out be a the idea of a forum which they can easily ignore?

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:31 PM   #8
Zal

Several other websites that I visit do have off topic forums that are quite successful, but they all have STRICT rules on appropriate topics--an "off topic" forum does NOT mean an "anything-goes" forum. For example, on all of the off-topic forums I visit, discussions regarding religion, politics, war, current world events, etc. are strictly forbidden, and for very good reason--it can turn VERY ugly, VERY quickly.

Also, even if Steve decides he wants to try an off-topic forum, it will need to be moderated, which will take up someone's time to make sure things stay clean, polite, and doesn't degrade into nonsense.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:39 PM   #9

no
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal
Several other websites that I visit do have off topic forums that are quite successful, but they all have STRICT rules on appropriate topics--an "off topic" forum does NOT mean an "anything-goes" forum. For example, on all of the off-topic forums I visit, discussions regarding religion, politics, war, current world events, etc. are strictly forbidden, and for very good reason--it can turn VERY ugly, VERY quickly.

Also, even if Steve decides he wants to try an off-topic forum, it will need to be moderated, which will take up someone's time to make sure things stay clean, polite, and doesn't degrade into nonsense.
(bolded)- wat exactly would you talk about in a forum like that if you can post about stuff like that?

maybe it got ugly really fast because people took other peoples opinions as personal attacks against them......

but....if it will cause problems i'd say no.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote