Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:20 PM   #11

As others have pointed out, the biggest downside to me is the weight and size of all the extras I carry (lenses mostly.)

Another downside, which will sound silly, is the size of the images. Image management of such large images is kinda scary. I'd love to switch to RAW, but those are even bigger! Since I don't want less resolution, I need to figure out a better way to manage the pictures.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:44 PM   #12

Quote:
I'd love to switch to RAW, but those are even bigger!
At least they're smaller than TIF files. On a card that was holding a max of 17 TIFs, I'm now getting 25 RAW photos. Of course, they're still fairly large...
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:50 PM   #13

A dSLR with a reasonable zoom lens is a bit 'bulkier' than a P&S but depending on the camera you get it isn't that bad. I don't find mine to be much heavier than a big P&S.

I carry my digiRebel and a flash almost everywhere. The key is to figure out ahead of time what lens/accessories you want to carry. If I'm going to be indoors I carry my external flash and either an 18-55 or 28-105. I don't carry any extraneous stuff. About the only things I carry as spares is a close up diopter or a 'the Pod' bean bag.

I use a Domke F5 bag, everything fits in and it carries well. I can't put my dSLR in the pocket of most of my jackets but I don't mind carrying a separate bag. Domke bags don't look like the standard style of camera bags - the typical Lowepro, nylon and padding. I'm not worried about theft - the bag is about the size of a small purse and as I wrote it doesn't look like most photo bags.

I kept my Canon G2 so that I could have the video mode and the LCD preview. The nice thing is that all my Canon camera share accessories and batteries.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:56 PM   #14

Any downsides are significantly outweighed by the upsides.

Eric --- From your posts, I know you care about image quality. Shift to RAW and don't look back. Letting the camera decide how to sharpen, expose, and saturate your image is similar to taking your prized negatives to KMart for cheaper prints. The benefits of having control of your image are well above any issues regarding file size.

The way I handle images....download to computer, copy to CD, review the files on the computer, toss out the ones that don't meet my standards, those that do get processed and sent through PrintShop then filed for later printing or jpg display. CD's and DVD's are cheap storage for your pictures/RAW files.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:12 PM   #15

Hey whats wrong with K-Mart ? :P

I'm getting a dSLR next week. I am also getting back into hiking (my 4-8hr day hikes) and will be bringing it with me!

The places I hike to deserve to be captured by something bigger than 2mp I think :P

Sure its going to be a bit bulkier than my little Canon a60 (which will be coming with me anyway) but it will make photography so much more fun when I'm out in the mountains, or backcountry!

I just have to find a nice bag for it to go along with me and my daypack.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:19 PM   #16

Gimli, for my daytreks I use a Lowe Pro Orion AW. It is a camera bag bottom and top serves as a daypack. I just weighed mine before my last weekend's 20km hike and it comes out just under 30 pounds fully stuffed.
(slr, 19-55, 28-105, 100-300, 2x converter, extension tubes, batteries and case full of cokin filters in bottom, spare cloths, food, water, foldable reflectors, plastic bags, in top) and monopod as walking stick.

Nice thing is the top detches with 2 clips and velcro and the bottom becomes a nice beltpack,but overweight without the tops shoulder straps.

BTW: I haven't hiked since last fall and I discovered new muscles that I am sure never existed before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimli
Hey whats wrong with K-Mart ? :P

I'm getting a dSLR next week. I am also getting back into hiking (my 4-8hr day hikes) and will be bringing it with me!

The places I hike to deserve to be captured by something bigger than 2mp I think :P

Sure its going to be a bit bulkier than my little Canon a60 (which will be coming with me anyway) but it will make photography so much more fun when I'm out in the mountains, or backcountry!

I just have to find a nice bag for it to go along with me and my daypack.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:44 AM   #17

I gave my Dad a "buy a better camera bag" christmas present. He got the LowePro Orion AW as well. It has helped his back a lot, and I think he carries even more now. LowePro makes very good stuff.

ohenry
Me, care about image quality? Too much, if that is possible.

Ya, I'm trying to dive into RAW. I just have to really learn what all the controls do and when to use them. I hate producing an image and then being uncomfortable immedately. I dislike the editing process already (taking the pictures is loads more fun) so having PS come up with a dialog first thing (and one with many settings) doesn't make me want to edit. And if I don't edit, then the picture go no where... and why take them? I just have to get beyond it... read some web pages about RAW conversion or find a book.

Things like "When I select 'Camera Default'" it comes up as 50 brightness & +25 contrast. But I don't believe that is actually how the camera is set.... so where does +25 contrast come from in this context. I dislike not understand what I'm doing. I'm also not good at deleting images that didn't work. I keep everything and I really need to prune.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 6:24 AM   #18
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Ya, I'm trying to dive into RAW. I just have to really learn what all the controls do and when to use them. I hate producing an image and then being uncomfortable immedately. I dislike the editing process already (taking the pictures is loads more fun) so having PS come up with a dialog first thing (and one with many settings) doesn't make me want to edit. And if I don't edit, then the picture go no where... and why take them? I just have to get beyond it... read some web pages about RAW conversion or find a book.
What about the "RAW + jpeg" setting? ie have your cake and eat it too (just need to get that 4G microdrive!)... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:22 AM   #19

I think messing in PS has given my photos a new lease of life. I still have the old thought of "If I get ONE good shot off this roll, I will be a happy man". But now with digital and raw, you can really get that many more decent pics for your money.

For example, recently this photo went from this....

to this.....

to this......

I absolutely LOVE what PS7 and digital has done to my photography life. I just couldnt do this stuff in a colour darkroom.
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:23 AM   #20

The gear I take out tends to be based on my plans for the day. If it's a bird day I take the AF-I 500 and tripod. My 28-105 covers most other eventualities. As I go hill walking a bit I've got a pack that will take circa 20lbs of stuff and still feel comfortable. It's not as padded as a Lowpro bag but I'm working on that.

Like Eric I don't particularly like editing and I'm still unsure about how much to mess in photoshop. I've got Photoshop Elements and Nikon Capture Editor and I love the RAW adjustments. After that I run out of steam.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote