Originally Posted by bcoultry
Quote:
Not a single joker amongst us!
A verbal slip. Meant to say crackpots.
I'm a card and I need to be dealt with!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:07 PM   #32

PrmseKpr, that is enough!

(I'll bet all of us could stick our own names in there and suddenly remember our mothers yelling at us when we were kids.)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 9:03 PM   #33

Wow, oh wow....
I think that there is only one steering wheel, and everyone is trying to drive! (except the aussies and brits, they are on the wrong side!)
:lol: :lol:
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 2:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by digcamfan
Does this then mean a towel around the waist of an Aussie is a "bum wrap"???

You know, fanny in most english speaking countries refer to a um... gender specific portion of the female body. Which is even more of a potential joke than a "bum bag" is to an american.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
PrmseKpr, that is enough!

(I'll bet all of us could stick our own names in there and suddenly remember our mothers yelling at us when we were kids.)
My mother has given up hope! :P
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:22 AM   #36

Quote:
My mother has given up hope!
That poor lady.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:25 PM   #37

Gimli wrote:
Quote:
Hey whats wrong with K-Mart ? :P

I'm getting a dSLR next week. I am also getting back into hiking (my 4-8hr day hikes) and will be bringing it with me!

The places I hike to deserve to be captured by something bigger than 2mp I think :P

Sure its going to be a bit bulkier than my little Canon a60 (which will be coming with me anyway) but it will make photography so much more fun when I'm out in the mountains, or backcountry!

I just have to find a nice bag for it to go along with me and my daypack.

Please let me know when you find a good day hike bag. I have considered modifying my camelbak but....

Thanks
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:50 AM   #38

A couple of off-topic questions.

1. What's RAW? Is this format only available to DSLRs or is it to any digital cameras?

2. For those who owns a DSLR. Do you use the viewfinder or the LCD screen? Personally, with a P&S, I feel I am starting to loose that familiar photographers habit of looking and composing pictures with that tiny window of wonder.

On-Topic:

Probably one down side to owning a DSLR is resources. And another is the seemingly unsatisfiable thirst to get certainequipment to get certain pictures... well, the unsatisfiable thirst seems to be universal to all photographers. :G

...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:53 AM   #39

PrmseKpr wrote:
Quote:
bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not a single joker amongst us!
A verbal slip. Meant to say crackpots.
I'm a card and I need to be dealt with!
Quick! Somebody reformat him!
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:55 AM   #40

Ben,

There's a pretty good description of RAW files here :-

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml

Using a RAW file helps you to have more control over your finished image and can lead to "better quality" results. If you shoot JPG then before you've even started working on it you have a loss of image quality due to the lossy jpg compression and you've let the camera decide how to sharpen it, what the white balance is, what the saturation is like etc. With RAW you can make all these decisions for yourself and perform these tasks on a more powerful processing platform than the chip within the camera.

Oh, and RAW is not purely for the DSLR. Though neither of the digicams I owned supported it then some do, for example :-

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/g3.html

I have recently acquired a Canon 20D and all I can say is that with this particular camera the LCD on the back is purely there for menus, information and image playback - you always use the eye level viewfinder to compose your shots. I think that is the norm for digital SLRs, however I can only speak from my own experiences, there might be some which let you use the LCD to compose your shots. Personally I never did like using an LCD and used the viewfinder 95% of the time on my p&s cameras. Somehow I didn't feel like I was taking a photograph when using an LCD. Plus, as I'm sure you are aware, waving a camera around a foot or so infront of your face is not a good recipe for a sharp image.

I had been using digital p&s cameras for the last couple of years (okay, I guess they were "creative digicams") and was missing my film SLR. I still own it, but I just can't face moving back to film. The p&s cameras paid for themselves pretty quickly but there was nothing much in the way of "accessories" to buy for them. Within a week of getting my DSLR I'd bought another lens, and a new carry bag,and a new lenspen, and some new software, and a couple of plugins for the software, and a book about the software... and I keep seeing stuff to add to the collection all the time. With an SLR system there is always that bit of handy kit that you can add. Hehe, last night I resolved that the next "investment" would be a hardware monitor calibration solution - I just about sent myself nuts trying to do it as best I could by eye. There is always going to be something!

:|

Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote