Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:27 PM   #41

Raw is available on many P&S as well as DSLR's

On a DSLR you must use the viewfinder, the LCD can only be used for playback. A DSLR's sensorcannot see what the lens is pointing at until you press the buttonwhich causes the mirror to flip up and the shutter curtain to open for the exposure.

Yes, DSLR can be considered very good wallet-vacuums.

Peter.

...Ben wrote:
Quote:
1. DSLRs or is it to any digital cameras?
2. For those who owns a DSLR. Do you use the viewfinder or the LCD screen?

On-Topic:
Probably one down side to owning a DSLR is resources.
[/quote]
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:51 PM   #42

Although there is no denying the superiority of the DSLR in speed and image quality (especially at high ISO) there are a few points to be made for digicams. We have all heard the negatives, here are some positives.

Digicam advantages.

1- The zoom range and low f-stop numbers of high end EVF digicams usually put DSLRs to shame unless you buy expensive (and heavy) pro lenses.

2- The ability to use the LCD as a viewfinder is a definite plus of digicams. Many advantages to this.

3- The increased DOF of digicams make it difficult to selectively focus BUT you can blur parts of a picture in post processing (but you cannot make blurred areas sharp)

4- Due to item 1 digicams are far more economical to purchase, and much lighter to carry.

5- As a sealed unit digicams are not subject to dust on the sensor and therefore do not need to have the sensor carefully cleaned. ( an activity many owners find intimidating)

I own a Fuji S7000, but I also own a very complete Minolta Maxxum 35mm outfit with many lenses, flashes and other accessories. I will probably buy a KM DSLR when lower priced models start to appear, but I am not in a hurry since the Fuji offers me so much flexibility with very few drawbacks. The freedom of carrying one small camera bag as opposed to a very heavy kit and not having to change lenses to suit the purpose is refreashing after years of 35mm SLR use.

Would I buy a DSLR if I could afford one?...yes.

Is it the universal answer for all photographers?...definitely not.

And most of all, don't think that you need a DSLR to take great pictures (unless you specialize in low light photography or high speed action).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:18 PM   #43

@Squonk and PeterP, thanks for the info.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:17 AM   #44

To Monza76's pro/con list,

I'll add that my Nikon 5400 P&S at room temperature lasts about 1 to 2 hours of power-on time per batteryon a full charge.

My 20D DSLR at room temperature will manage almost 2000 shots. (running on dual batteries) The newer DSLR 's seem to be very good at power-management.

This last point is the best, and very true. Any camera that is actually taken out and used can produce some absolutely great results.

Quote:
And most of all, don't think that you need a DSLR to take great pictures (unless you specialize in low light photography or high speed action).
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote