Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:21 PM   #1

Default Down side to owning a DSLR

Recently I have decided to take the plunge into upgrading to a DSLR. I haven't bought the DSLR yet, but I'm very excited at hopefully getting one soon.

My question though is, for those of you with DSLR's, how do you deal with the fact that it is not as convenient to carry everywhere and as a result potentially missing photo oportunities?

I'm selling my Nikon 4300 so that I can better offord/justify an accessory or two, but I'm wondering if maybe I should keep it for daily use. Just curious how others handle this problem.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:24 PM   #2

there is nothing wrong with having more than one camera. For instance one of the posters on this forum is taking a photo class and next week she has to go to an outdoor site and the rain is predicted. she is currently on here asking how to protect her camera...if she had two then she could take the alternate.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 4:19 AM   #3

One real downside of a DSLR or any large professional looking camera is that they may not allow you to take it into certain events like games and concerts, because they think you're a pro-photographer. While you might be able to get away with a small point and shoot, you'll never get past security with a big DSLR.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 6:13 AM   #4

Quote:
My question though is, for those of you with DSLR's, how do you deal with the fact that it is not as convenient to carry everywhere and as a result potentially missing photo oportunities?
I always carry my DSLR kit in a bag and my point and shoot in my pocket. I have used SLRs since I was 14 and the fun of using it always outweighs the "Inconvenience" Buy it and enjoy it!
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:19 AM   #5

Tis true the "limitations" of DSLRs (not necessarily in their abilities, but the world perception of the carrier of said equipment).
There's also higher theft risk whilst in dodgy countries esp for the fairer sex or smaller of stature. Then again, that extends to every belonging a person carries not just a camera.

I've gotten used to my HP P&S holstered on my hip, and in a month's time with the D70 entering my world (hopefully) I guess I'll have to get used to lugging a bigger bum bag around. The bulk of some of the higher end "prosumer" P&S cameras (ie. the Minolta A1 and Canon G5) plus necessary accessories probably matches that of an SLR anyway.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
bum bag
I think this is what, in the U.S., we call a "fanny pack." Just in case the jokers amongst us rise to the surface.

I ended up buying a good-sized camera bag, and I also altered one of my husband's old and heavy army jackets, giving it pockets all over the place. (Couldn't buy precisely what I wanted.) The bag stays securely locked in the trunk of the car while necessities get tucked into vest pockets. Sometimes I just go lean-and-mean: no extras other than cards and batteries because lugging around all that gear can get downright irritating at times.

BUT, I don't think anything short of a DSLR would ever satisfy me again.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:26 AM   #7

I am panicking now because I have enough trouble lugging around my Minolta Z1 plus filters and batteries!

When the time comes for me to upgrade to a DSLR I will buy one of those baby-carriers for my back........and dump all my equipment in it!!!
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
I will buy one of those baby-carriers
Panic is bad for digestion. Go with a photographer's jacket or vest. Not only does it hold a lot, but it makes you look really cool.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 1:14 PM   #9

Thanks for all the sugestions.

Bcoultry,

You and I feel the same way.
Quote:
BUT, I don't think anything short of a DSLR would ever satisfy me again
I have a film SLR I used to use a lot in college (an old Canon AE1). Since then I've bought other camera's that were point and shoot ... some took really great pictures too, but they never do just like the real thing.

As some of you have suggested, maybe I should keep a 2nd camera, but I'll figure something out ... maybe I'll get a light weight pack. Even with my cheapers camera's I've always been afraid of theft, but what they hey, you can't not carry it around because of what might happen.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:42 PM   #10

Since I got my 10D in January, it has become attached to me, quite literally in fact. I never leave it in my car, take it on walks and outdoors (my significant other still gives me crap about it) and everywhere I go. I have gotten used to having a bag along all the time. Now I know what its like to have a purse! :lol:
I wouldn't give it up for the world!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote