Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:15 AM   #1

Default Does rebate being offered mean anything?

That may sound dumb but I'm new to this camera thing. I know Minolta offered a rebate on the A1 before the A2 appeared. Fugi has a rebate on the S7000, does that mean an S8000 is on the way?
I thought I had decided to get an A1, then found out about the A2. Now I wonder if there is an improved S7000 coming soon. Ha, maybe I should just forget it and buy a Coolpix 8700.
Sbrown712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:10 AM   #2
Administrator

The S7000 will be replaced by the S20 Pro:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fu...s20pro_pr.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:28 AM   #3

Thanks Steve, it isn't getting any easier to decide which camera to get. I know you suggested the A1 over the S7000, how does the S20 stack up against the A2 in your opinion?
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:26 AM   #4

I don't think Steve gives specific recommendations on cameras, thats what the reviews are for. Read the reviews, compare the test images, monitor what other people who already have the camera are saying and make your own informed decision. Too many people ask other people which camera they should get and then regret to find out that just because someone else likes a particular camera you find out after getting it that you don't like it and end up disappointed. It's easy to find out whats good about a particular camera but I also want to know whats not so good about it. If I had looked for that type of information I would have avoided making the wrong decision on my 1st digicam.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:14 AM   #5

Default hey Harleyguy.....

Harleyguy,
I have found everything you say to be true. I've been 'shopping' for a camera for about a month now and am reading everything I can find. It just seems that when I have made a decision something else comes into the picture. I had my mind made up to get an A1 then someone at a camera store turned me onto the Fugi S7000. Then the A2 comes out, more confusion. Now the new Fugi is coming plus the new Nikon.
I will buy the camera over the internet because of the price and it appears that most stores on the net don't allow returns, only exchanges for a defect, so whatever I buy I will have to be happy with it.
As for the question on how Steve rates the S20 against the A2, both cameras are new and I haven't found a real review of either one, just first impressions. I was hoping that Steve had some hands on with the camera and would offer an opinion.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:24 AM   #6
hst

Default Some Online retailers do allow returns

Not all online retailers don't allow returns. Many have a 14-15 day satisfaction warrentee if you read their info on returns.

As for the Pro20 I actually think the S7000 will be a better deal. The Pro20 appears to be using the same sensor as the 700. The 700 camera didn't review to well and its actually a 3MP camera. It seems kind of risky to move back to 3MP when the 6MP S7000 is such a good camera and takes great pictures.

You can take a look at the sample picture sites with the 8MP camera such as the samples Steve has posted. It appears many 5MP cameras take better images.

FYI. At dell the S7000 is 699 but they have a 15% discount on cameras right now and with the 100 fuji rebate that makes the price of the S7000 real attractive.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:26 PM   #7

Default Re: hey Harleyguy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrown712
Harleyguy,

I will buy the camera over the internet because of the price and it appears that most stores on the net don't allow returns, only exchanges for a defect, so whatever I buy I will have to be happy with it.
I think the fact that you seem hesitant to make a final decision on which camera to buy would prompt me to buy from a local camera dealer that has a libreral return policy. That way if you really don't like it or something newer and greater comes out within the return limit you can take it back and get something else. Is that worth paying more for? In my experiences, yes. Plus the fact that generally the newest cameras are no cheaper on the internet than they are at a local camera store.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:11 PM   #8

Just to let you know, I ordered an A2 today. I think I had my heart set on an A1 from when I first started shopping and the other cameras just confused the issue. I got a 512mb 40x card, case and other little goodies for it too.
Thanks for the input guys and wish me luck.

Steve
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:00 AM   #9

I think that you will find joy with your new A2. Give it a chance to show you what it can do for you.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote