Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:06 PM   #1

Default I have a favor to ask of you...

Hi everyone! I am in 4H and I really want to get to State for photography this year. I have taken a undle of photos this year in hopes of having ahuge choice, so will you please help me decide my top 2 or 3 photos?

Here are the links to my 3 albums (24 photos each)

Thank you sooo incredibly much!

Album #1:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-d...180689&size=md

Album #2:
http://community.webshots.com/album/113547855cwmTUK

Album #3:
http://community.webshots.com/album/119634830nbVeGp

Oh yes, and if you can think of any creative ways of linking more than one photo together plase tell me if you know of anything....(one of my ideas: my grass picture(summer), leaves(fall), winter snowbranch (winter), and then something I will get this spring (like budding leaves or something)... Or just anything like that so that I can get more pictures on and impress the judges even more!!!

I am also taking off for Italy for 2 weeks on the 17th, and I will surely get at least a MILLION pictures!!! (I have 5 flash cards!!! 2 are my mom sHUGE ones, then a 64, and 2 small ones... but HEY I will get a ton of pics and share them all with you)

Well thank you SOOO much!!!!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:40 PM   #2

Hi Discodudette Other than the shots you'll get in Italy I would concentrate on Taylor and the cats. Your shot "Talor Ann" is adorable and has a lot of impact and that is what grabs a judge's eye. Babies and Animals are hard to resist for competition subjects.
You appear to have a "natural eye" for photography which is good but you must also pay attention to "technical" aspects of photography if you want to be successful in competitions. Pay attention to focus, and composition. I like the way you move in on your subjects, very effective. However, be careful about cutting things off (amputations :shock: ) like ears, (on the horse) fingers, tops of heads etc. It is important to look in all areas of the viewfinder (when possible) to see whats there before snapping the photo. Some of the various photo posting websites have a comment or critique section that can be useful in offering suggestions for improving one's photography.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 9:31 AM   #3

Thank you for all the info! Yes I definately need to learn more about it. The only thing about submitting pictures of my horses is that there are SO many people that own horses in 4H that they basically NEVER let those photos get to state unless they are truly astounding. I will keep trying to get pictures of Taylor. She moves so fast now it is hard to get any!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 10:09 AM   #4

hi disco...

I've done a few of the county fair type things... and once got honorable mention at the state fair. You may already know this but I thought I would mention it... PRESENTATION!

Don't just stick your pictures in any old frame. Pick a nice frame and choose the right mat. It really will make your picture stand out. Also I always submitted my prints at the maximum allowable size.... If they accept up to 8x10... submit 8x10 not a 4x6... (i once did our local fair... no size limit... I submitted 20X30 prints! )

So while you photos are a very important part, presentation shouldn't be over looked...

hth,
john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:09 PM   #5

I was unable to follow that first link, thought I should mention that.

You have a good creative eye. There are shots there that I wouldn't have taken, but that I like. I always find that interesting and something to learn from.

Barn is daring. I'm not sure it works (at least for me) but I'm not sure why. Maybe because I'm a fan of old barns and I wish I could see more of it through the grass. I like what you were doing with this, though. Good composition of forground and background is hard, and most don't even try it.

I like the "chelsea dock" of the dog. I wish the water weren't so white/light. It might be how it was, but I find it distracting. One of the hidden secrets to photography is that you're not actually trying to record things as they were, you're trying to make a good picture. Those can be the same thing, but they don't have to be.

I like the concept in Grass. I wish there was something more in the background (recognisable) to grab you attention.

In Cats, get them to look at you. Then this would really be a winner. (but I'm a sucker for cats!)

The expression in Taylor Ann is great. Something seems a little off (focus?) but I like it.

If "Fish" were in crisp focus (hard, because of the tank's glass) it would be a great picture.

You should have put a link to "biffy truck" in the funny photo forum.

I like "Water1" a lot. I like "water3" as well, but I kinda wish I didn't know where the water came from. I don't know why (I liked in one you just saw the lump of water at the top.)

But I digress. What are your best...
I like shoe1 from album 3. Its just too cute.
I like cats from album 2 (even thought I'd like them look at you even more.)
Something about Picture 113 from album 3 strikes me. The mix of lines. You might want to lighten it, as snow is usually brighter.

Hope that helps.

Eric

ps. I rode in 4H a bit, and my sister showed in 4H for about 10 years. It was loads of fun... I hope you enjoy it too.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:39 PM   #6

Wow! Thank you EVERYONE so much for all of your help!!! I think all of these tips will really help me!

Eric- yes this is my 3rd year in 4H and my first year actually doing photography I think. I usually do the arts like putting in my own painting, drawings, sketches, being in skits, being in plays, and my favorite... riding!

I am trying to expand my horizons and getting to state for photography would be a huge honor because so many people do it and my county is one of the bigest in the US, so it is really hard to get in! I think with all of your tips I can do it!

Thanks sooo much again! THANK YOU!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 9:21 PM   #7

i like the pictures of the two kittens and the "taylor ann" shot.....but i have a question for you
wat is 4H?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:02 PM   #8

It's like girl scouts for cooler cos you can do it when you are older. Its less "girly" cos its more of a farmer type of thing. The H's sand for: Head, heart, hands, help. You can do 4H until you are a freshamn in college, and my club is based on a horse riding barn. We all ride together on a team and fun stuff like that and mostly are in 4H for the hrose aspect of it.

You can do like ANYTHING (show pigs... paint things... make plays... make your own movie.... grow food... show bunnies... ) the possibliities are truly endless! Its free I think, too. Stupid suburbian people are trying to shut us down by taking away our horse show place because it is "too close" to their homes. I say we just demolish their homes. They are the sumb people who built them after we already had our show ring there.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 6:00 PM   #9

oh cool
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 6:53 PM   #10

I like your pic "chelsea dock", but the horizon is badly off. You should straighten it if you decide to submit it.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote