Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:19 PM   #1

Default Help wife want nikon I want minolta

I need help, my wife and I are deadlocked, she wants the Nikon 5700 and I want the minolta A1. She wants simple and I want most quality for the the buck. Please help with input and we'll let your opinions decide. If you know of a compromise feel free to share. Thank You
steveb1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:28 PM   #2

Default Re: Help wife want nikon I want minolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb1242
I need help, my wife and I are deadlocked, she wants the Nikon 5700 and I want the minolta A1. She wants simple and I want most quality for the the buck. Please help with input and we'll let your opinions decide. If you know of a compromise feel free to share. Thank You
Buy the Nikon for her and the Minolta for yourself
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:56 PM   #3

Quote:
If you know of a compromise feel free to share. Thank You
Of course, the compromise is: get what your wife wants!

You will thus live long enough to see what the next generation of digi-cam technology has to offer. :?

Domestic tranquility trumps technology any day. (IM SO's HO)

...but seriously, the 5700 isn't that simple, and the A1 isn't that complicated. Both are fine cameras. Neither are point-n-shoot cameras. The A1 may be a tad bit less forgiving of poor photographic technique than the Nikon... nothing that a few hours with the camera, 'in the saddle' so to speak, won't smooth out.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 9:08 PM   #4

Do the only sensible thing. Get your wife the 5700, being the master of negotiation and compromise that you are, and then when the A2 is availible...
In about 2 or 3 months, tell her that you just have to have it! You will have done such a wonderful thing getting her the camera she wants, she won't be able to refuse you. :lol:
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:08 AM   #5

The Minolta A2 is now shipping – check see if that might be a good compromise. Minolta tend to make their stuff so it will operate in point and shoot mode so could be OK for your wife.

According to a “note” on his site, Michael Reichmann will be publishing a “user” review of the A2 next week – should make interesting reading judging by what he said about the Olympus C-8080.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/new/index.shtml
costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:51 AM   #6

I like gandalf's idea; being a child in a home where this is not at all uncommon; since the male usually gets little to no leverage, this is your best bet
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:55 AM   #7

Show your wife you are not afraid......stand up for yourself.......and then buy the Nikon immediately :lol:
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:13 PM   #8

I love my 5700, but it is not what I call easy to learn. It has many manual settings that you can take use. The camera requires a learning curve. I am not sure the learning curve on the Minolta, but the general consensus is to run up the white flag.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 4:32 PM   #9

Either camera will do fine with the default settings in program mode. The only extra complication of the A1 is that you have to open the flash if you want to use it – a feature I prefer.

The Nikon is a little more compact and the LCD fully articulates. I prefer a mode dial, but with the Nikon you never have to remove your eye from the viewfinder.

I doubt that either has the advantage over the other in ease of use if you don’t want to get into the finer points. And either have a learning curve if you do.

Nikon I think has a $150 rebate going on the 5700. It is overpriced compared to the A1 without the rebate, but with the rebate comes in cheaper.

Now that I have used a camera with image stabilization I won’t have another large camera without it. And I find that I use a 28mm wide angle more often than a telephoto. You can get interiors and scenes almost half again as wide. But the Nikon has the better telephoto if you have good light. Raw is more useable with the A1 because of the long write times on the Nikon – the A1 buffers raw pretty well. I don’t like not having a distance readout of the focus distance as with the Nikon. You learn to estimate pretty closely if you have the readout. Neither have a focus assist light, but the A1 seems to focus better in low light than the Nikon. The Nikon images have a little lower noise and maybe slightly better resolution.

If you are sure you want one or the other buy the CF card first. Take her into a store and have her take some shots inside with the flash off with both cameras (make sure the IS is on). Then go home and look at the pictures. Point out that the same would apply to the school play or award dinner or whatever where you couldn’t get close enough to use the flash. Also have her take shots at full wide with both and compare the coverage. She might decide SHE wants the A1.

If she still isn’t convinced by all means get the Nikon. Every problem she has with the A1 will be your fault.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 5:29 PM   #10

Buy the Nikon...

Wait, then buy the A2.

Send the kids to Gramma and Grandpa.

Chase the fleeting, fleeing image of each
other around the house with your new
cameras.

Create that "special album"!!!

Just a thought...:P
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote