Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 10, 2004, 5:58 AM   #1

Default LCD TFT Monitors

Is anybody using a flat screen monitor for photographic work. I've read reviews that suggest that CRT is still far better. I've tried checking the displays in stores and they are generally disappointing but it's hard to know what you are looking at without seeing the same image on a CRT.

So what is the view of other photographers already using these screens?
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2004, 7:39 AM   #2

Personally, I use an LG Flatron 19". It is CRT with a Flat screen, and I still believe that crt´s are better than LCD at the moment, unless you pay a LOT of money for the best! This cost 250 Euros second hand and is excellent for photograph viewing. IMHO.
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:39 AM   #3

I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 171P, which at the time was Samsung's best. I calibrate it with a ColorVision Spyder. I get very good results, complete tonal range when viewing calibration/monitor charts, and rich color that matches my printer output reasonably close.

Having said that, I bought the monitor before getting into digital photography work. I would love to see a calibrated CRT and my monitor displaying the same image side-by-side to satisfy my own curiosity if there is significant improvement with the CRT.

When looking, don't waste your time with less expensive TFT screens (laptops) as they are very dependent on viewing angle. Higher end LCD's have a much wider viewing angle and less susceptible to color shifts as your viewing angle changes.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:31 AM   #4

I use a Samsung SynncMaster 171v, LCD and am happy with its performance. Like Ohenery I bought the monitor with other than photography in mind. Mainly...footprint size, cost and coolness factor 8)

My brother in-law who owns a graphics art shop has nothing but CRT monitors for graphics art work.

I think it comes down to personal preference, space, style 8) , performance (are you relying on this for your living as my brother in-law or is it a hobby) and the environment where the screen will be setup and used.

Have a good one.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the info.

I've currently got a tired 17 inch CRT and I need to replace it I'm thinking of taking the opportunity to recovering some desk space hence the interest in LCD screens. It is only a hobby so not absolutely critical but digital photography accounts for most of my PC usage. With that in mind I'll be looking for a quality LCD and I'll certainly look at the Samsung range.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote