Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:37 PM   #1

Default A Tripod Dilemma

I'm going to be out of the country in 2 weeks and still haven't chosen a tripod. I have one but it is like 6 pounds and folds to about 25 inches and I'd like something a heck of a lot smaller. I've looked at two different ones and can't seem to make up my mind. Anyone want to give me a peice of your mind to help me decide?

Cullmann Jet Set: I like this one because I know Cullmann is a good tripod maker.

Vanguard Tourist 5: I like this one because of its size and more importantly price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:39 PM   #2

Sorry...all of my research and thoughts are on Bogen/Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:50 AM   #3

I second ohenry's statement
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 7:51 PM   #4

Bogen and friends are slightly to expensive for me. I know a higher price normally means better quality.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:20 PM   #5

I have a Velbon 343E that I have been happy with. It is probably over your price range but there is one feature worth mentioning. The lack of stabilization bars on the legs let you use the tripod in much rougher terrain. Some tripods have the stabilization near the bottom, which really interferes with getting set up in rough terrain. It looks like the second one you linked might keep the bars high, which shouldn’t be that much of a problem. But I sometimes can’t get all 3 legs all the way out in some situations and any stabilization bars would be a hassle.

I use the same technique described in this review to stabilize the camera for the light tripod – I just grab the shaft and push down. http://bermangraphics.com/coolpix/velbon.htm
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote