Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:33 PM   #1

Default Help w/ indoor pics using Oly C-750

With much help from this site, I purchased an Olympus C-750. Overall I am happy with the camera but still learning. I am trying to take pictures of my daughter inside a gym playing basketball. All the pictures come out greenish or yellowish. What can I change the settings to in order to get a better picture. Buying another flash is not an option at this time. Is there a way to improve these pictures? Thanks!
picture taker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:40 PM   #2

Change to white balance to adjust for the lighting. The color cast is the result of using the wrong color temperature setting for the given lighting conditions.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:48 PM   #3

Default Thanks

and sorry if this is a really dumb question :roll: , but I'm not familiar with what to change the white balance too. I'm not even sure what it *should* be on for regular use. I have pretty much just used the camera in auto mode. I have so much to learn...
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:59 PM   #4

There should be a setting for indoor and outdoor white balance or similar, refer to your camera's manual. Indoor shots have a more 'incandescent' color cast, which explains the green/yellow and orangish overcasts. Changing the white balance will alter your camera's perception of 'white' (so-to-speak) and should remove that color cast. Alternatively you can remove those with an imaging program.

To be extra sure you should post a sample of what you're talking about, because green/yellow doesn't exactly classify a white-balance overcast 100%.
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:07 AM   #5

Default sample picture

Here is an example
Old Mar 12, 2004, 1:56 AM   #6

Based on your description, it sounds like the gym has fluorescent lighting. First thing to do is to be more aware of the lighting around you. When outdoors on snow or under bright sun at the beach, the color temperature tends to go off the charts, so you want to try the highest values. Fluorescent has its own color cast, depending on what kind of tubes are used. Color temperature for Tungsten (incandescent) is lower still, and candlelight is nearly yellowish red (pretty low).
Check the lighting in the gym, and then go through the color balance choices, selecting one that seems to be closest to what kind of lighting is present. See what it looks like through the viewfinder or on LCD screen; the change should be immediate and quite apparent. Keep testing choices until you find the setting that gives the appearance you desire.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote