Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:59 PM   #1

Default Help me with Lens selection..

Which one you would prefer 28-200 or 38-380 (both for Digicam) ,
What are the benefits of 28 mm wide over 38 mm wide. My use would be family and day to day pictures (not for any commercial use)
suhasgokhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2004, 12:06 AM   #2

Basically the 28 will allow you to be more "zoomed out" for pics. Personally I would be willing to give up a bit at the bottom range to pick up nearly twice the zoom, but for mainly family use and day to day pics, you might not need the extra zoom as much as you would the 28.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 1:07 AM   #3

I'd prefer the 38-380. I prefer to zoom in rather than do wide angle shots. In my days of playing with a 35mm SLR, I never used anything shorter than my 50mm lens and most of the time used an 80-200mm lens.

However, this is just me and the experts may currently be saying, "That Yaworski is an idiot."
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 1:48 AM   #4

Default Re: Help me with Lens selection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasgokhale
Which one you would prefer 28-200 or 38-380 (both for Digicam) , What are the benefits of 28 mm wide over 38 mm wide. My use would be family and day to day pictures (not for any commercial use)
See the "Lens Overview" in the "On-Camera Lens" section of my Coolpix 5700 user guide to see the focal length difference. The 28mm is much wider than 38mm. For family day to day use, a wider angle may be more beneficial because the chance for you to shoot in a small room could be high. In this situation, you will wish to have a wide angle lens to get everyone in the image.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote