Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:04 PM   #1

Default Webshots.com sharing photos why is this

Has anybody tried post a link from webshots.com to this website for photos? I tried and will not let me post the link of my photos. Has this ever happend to anybody and what could be going on.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2004, 9:59 PM   #2

I have never tried, but I bet they stop it intentionally.

They want people to go to their web sites to they can get revenue (either by showing ads or by people buying copies.) If you post a link to a picture there you deprive them of this.

Don't forget that the bandwidth used to distribute the picture costs them money. I bet their contract with their users (that you agreed to when you signed up) disallows direct linking.

This is one of the reasons that I think that pbase.com is nice. They might cost money, but it isn't much and they actually encourage direct linking.... they show you how to do it!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:03 PM   #3

Eric thanks for the info and i will switch over. I heard good reviews about that website. I will give them a try.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:08 AM   #4

If you do a search for pbase on this web site, and look at the results a bit, someone did a comparson of a 3 or 4 pay sites, including pbase. You might find their comments interesting.

pbase.com is very popular and they do some nice things, like offer up multiple sizes of pictures but only the "original" side (what you uploaded) counts against your quota. They also have a huge variety of different galleries. Some dislike that you can't create your own, others like that you can just pick one and go with it. Both have their place.

I don't use them because I already have my own site that I post pictures on. But I would probably use pbase if I needed a site.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote