Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2004, 4:49 AM   #1

Default AI Internal Battery Again

Thanks for replies, very helpful. I note that the battery concerned is not powering Memory card but the internal settings(clock etc.). I imagine then that this is normal in digicams generally? Otherwise one would be resetting clock and stuff each time power battery is removed.
Thanks again.
Tony
tonysjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:10 AM   #2

Yes, there is a small circular flat battery (like put into watches, but larger) that helps store things like the date/time and some of the settings. I don't know if the bigger rechargable battery also does that when it's in (i.e. the smaller battery is just for backup or not.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 10:12 AM   #3

The Olympus C3020 is an example of an alternative approach to a built-in battery for preseving user settings: It uses a capacitor to store enough energy to allow you to change batteries [but generally not long enough to charge the batteries and return them to the camera]. So with this camera, you need at least two sets of batteries [a good idea anyway], and if you want to save your setting when storing the camera for a long period, you need to keep charged batteries in the camera.

It's all a compromise.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 5:17 AM   #4

Thanks for further comments. It seems a bit silly - even customer unfriendly to have a situation that your valuable camera can "go down" at sometime in the unpredictable future and you have to send it back to be "repaired" - Kinda built in breakdown. Why don't they just make thes batteries accessible/user replaceable I wonder. Wouldn't take much designing in?
Tony
tonysjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 6:54 AM   #5
NHL

It's about the life cycle of the product... You probably won't be using your same digital camera anymore few years from now, it'll probably be obsoleted by another digicam. My recommendation is to never turn the camera off, the camera goes to sleep by itself and in this mode it still use the main battery. You can prolong the internal battery this way since the only time you'll be exercising the internal battery is when you take the main battery out for re-charging.

FYI my Minolta D7 is now 3 years old, I took it out of the closet pop in some NiMh and behold... It's still remember the time! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote