Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 15, 2004, 12:38 PM   #1

Default Cybershot DSC-F828 VS Minolta A2

Hallo

I want to now if enybody can tell me , what camera is best.

Palle
Denmark
Sven Bendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2004, 3:48 PM   #2

I would go for the A2. They are both 8 MP 28 - 200 manual zoom, but
A2 is smaller/lighter/better ergonomics
has image stabilization (big plus)
Better dedicated flash availability
Less CA/PF

The Sony does more in camera processing and its images will have more punch right out of the camera. The A2 doesn't saturate and sharpen as much. You may need to do some post processing to get the shot to your liking.

Steve's full review of the A2 should be up soon. The first look came out on 3/12
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a2.html
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:16 PM   #3

Default Re: Cybershot DSC-F828 VS Minolta A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Bendt
Hallo

I want to now if enybody can tell me , what camera is best.

Palle
Denmark
Between the two, the A1 due to (as someone else has already said) the image stabilization (I.S.) feature. Have you looked at the Canon Pro1 yet, though? It does not have I.S., but in the sample images I've been looking at lately, it seems to have the best photo quality of all the 8MP consumer-level cameras coming out so far.

Greg
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:37 PM   #4

I BELIEVE WE MUST EXTEND THE QUESTION...WHICH ONE IS THE BEST 8MP CAMERA AMONG ALL? SONY, CANON, MINOLTA, NIKON OR OLYMPUS?

I AM WAITING FOR CANON POWERSHOT PRO1 HITS THE MARKET SO I CAN TALK TO ITS FUTURE USERS.....SO FAR I READ A LOT ABOUT F828....ALL THE REVIEWS SEEM TO BE "FRUSTATED' OR MAYBE 'DISAPOINTED' WITH ITS PERFORMANCE, BUT I ALSO TALKED TO MANY F828 OWNERS AND THEY ARE ALL VERY HAPPY WITH THE CAMERA.

NOW ONLY TIME WILL TELL IF THESE GUYS SHOULD HAVE WAITED A LITTLE LONGER FOR THE RIGHT 8MP CAMERA.

I HAVE A F707 AND STEVES REVIEW WAS A DECISIVE FACTOR IN MY CHOICE AT THE TIME. TO BE HONEST...I WANT A 8MP CAMERA, BUT IM STILL DECIDING.

WHEN SONY RELEASED F828 THE FIRST BUTTON I CLICKED ON ITS WEBSITE WAS 'ACESSORIES', NOT 'SPECIFICATIONS'...I WAS WONDERING WHICH MODELS OF WIDE ANGLE OR TELE LENSES I SHOULD GET TO USE WITH F828, BUT I WAS DISAPOINTED...IM STILL IS! WHO CARES FOR LITTLE SPECIAL TRIPOD OR SPECIAL SHOULDER STRAP???? COME ON! I WANT PERFORMANCE, NOT GADGETS!

SO I AM WAITING....
alex11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:16 AM   #5

I think you need to invest in a new keyboard first. The caps lock button seems to be stuck on the one you have. :P

The jury is still out. Wait for some more reviews. I think the Minolta A2 should wind up being a top choice.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:26 PM   #6

I'm asking myself the same questions.

I have now handled all 4 cameras. The sony is way to big. The A2 looks to have a great spec. The Cannon and the Nikon look the best, and are easiest to handle. Personally its between the Pro 1 and the Nikon for me.

I'm waiting for a conclusion of the Pro 1's lens and its ultrasonic zoom.
wimporym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:51 PM   #7

Dont underestimate the utility of image stabilization. Now that I have used it on my FZ10 I will absolutely not buy another large camera without it. It opens an entire new vista of available light photography without a tripod or flash.

The first full review of the A2 looks very promising: http://luminous-landscape.com/review...nolta-a2.shtml They have done reviews only on DSLRs in the past and decided to review the new 8Mp cameras as they came out.

I have to disagree with one of his complaints though. I think the manually raised flash is an advantage. Raise it to activate the flash, and if it is down you dont have to check that it is deactivated. I wish all cameras were designed that way.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 9:27 AM   #8

I tried the 828 yesterday - it is a MONSTER in size and weight compared to the A2.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote