Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 15, 2004, 7:12 PM   #1

Default 3 mg vs 5 mg pix printing ?

would there be a difference in the printing quality 8 by 10s between a 3 and a 5 meg camera ?
hdshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:35 PM   #2

Yep.
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:17 AM   #3

One camera is likely to be better than the other, but it might not be the 5Mp one.

If all else is equal (it never is) a 5Mp camera will be able to produce a print 29.099% larger in linear measure than the 3Mp camera. That is a real increase, but there are enough other possible differences that the 3Mp camera might produce a better 8x10" print.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 6:52 AM   #4

i wont be printing any bigger than a 8 by 10 , will there be a difference , if both camera were equal?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 7:04 PM   #5

Both cameras are never equal. Even the same exact camera with 3Mp and 5Mp sensors will have different characteristics. But you will get very good 8 X 10s if you donít have to crop from a 3Mp image.

Keep in mind that optical finders typically show only 80-85% of the scene. You will find that you have to crop some to get the picture you thought you had framed. Even if you shoot with the LCD or use a camera with an EVF that shows the entire scene you tend to want to crop a little as most of us donít frame perfectly unless there is a lot of time for the shot. 5Mp gives more versatility with cropping.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 7:58 PM   #6

ok for fun lets just say the cameras WERE equal except one was 3 mg and one was 5 . If you printed out the same pic would there be a difference ?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 8:13 PM   #7

Everyone has a different opinion about how much resolution a printer can take. I have a good photo printer and couldnít see much difference between the resolution you would get printing an 8 X 10 from a 3Mp or 5Mp image if you donít have to crop. The best 8 X 10 crop you can get from a 3Mp image is 192PPI. Some people claim improvements up to 400PPI, but I donít see it.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 9:44 PM   #8

I have printed some very nice 13 X 19 pictures using my Canon Pro90, a 2.6 MP camera. In most cases when I want to print a large picture, I "rez up" the file using Photoshop Elements or, better yet, Genuine Fractals to produce a 7-10 megabyte file. The resulting pictures are very close to 35mm quality when printed on an Epson 1270. I have matted and framed a number of landscapes which look great behind glass produced this way.

Megapixels are great, but good quality lens glass is very important. Initial framing of a picture and how you deal with a file, including cropping and printing also counts for a lot. I'll admit that some of my pictures don't display as much 'pop' and detail in shadow areas as I'd like, but I haven't yet found a camera/lens/printer combination that makes me want to trade. Maybe next year.
Bob_Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
I have printed some very nice 13 X 19 pictures using my Canon Pro90, a 2.6 MP camera. In most cases when I want to print a large picture, I "rez up" the file using Photoshop Elements or, better yet, Genuine Fractals to produce a 7-10 megabyte file. The resulting pictures are very close to 35mm quality when printed on an Epson 1270.
Everyone has their standards I guess. You canít insert information that isnít there with an upsample. The very best 13 X 19 crop you can get from a Pro90 is less than 100PPI. You might feel that is ďnearĒ 35mm quality but I donít.

Quote:
Megapixels are great, but good quality lens glass is very important.
Phil at dpreview didnít do a review of the Pro90 that I can find, so I used Daveís at Imaging Resource. I compared his resolution of the Pro90 to the entry level A70. Dave called the resolution 750 lines/inch on the Pro90 and 1,100 lines per inch on the A70. It isnít that the Pro90 has a poor lens Ė Dave called the almighty stabilized UZI 650 lines per inch. But you can generally make a sharper 3X zoom than a 10X zoom. And resolutions have generally been improving. So whatever hdshp buys is likely to have higher resolution than your Pro90.

I wonít say I donít have a camera rated that low in resolution because I havenít seen numbers on the FZ10, but it do have 3 cameras with resolution numbers higher than the Pro90. In my judgement of images cropped to a size that would give 100PPI, a 13 X 19 print isnít anywhere ďnearĒ 35mm quality. I slightly prefer stepped interpolation to GF and have Photoshop set up for it, but neither are magic and canít invent information that isnít there.