Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:52 AM   #11

Its also useful when you dont want to get any type of camera shake with longer shutter speeds (with or without tripd).
johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:16 AM   #12

>>> Its also useful when you dont want to get any type of camera shake with longer shutter speeds (with or without tripd). <<<

Agreed. It is just that I felt it would much more useful if the device was designed to be used from the back of the camera rather than the front, or better yet from any location, no matter what technology they use. A mechanical cable has none of these limitation and it is darn cheap to impliment.

Having said that I sure would miss have the focus, zoom, mode, menu functions available on the remote that my Casio has. Then again none of the new cameras have that any way .... short of useing a computer.

I really wanted to see if anyone shared my opinions. Evidently not. So I will learn to live with it.
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 3:31 PM   #13
Administrator

I have asked and asked and asked the manufacturers to include an IR receiver on the back of cameras as well as the front and so far nadda, zip, nothing. It would cost them next to nothing to add this feature just like it would cost next to nothing to add an IR remote with EVERY camera they make - so far only a few makers include an IR remote or at least make it an optional accessory.

Not long ago I bought a $35 ceiling fan that came with an IR remote control. Every VCR made, even the super-cheap ones come with an IR remote. And every DVD player and so on and so on. All of these other consumer items are also being sold in intensely price-competitive markets but they seem to be able to afford to include an IR remote so why not every digicam made ???

P.S. I have usually been able to make the IR remote work from behind the camera as long as I had a nearby reflective surface to bounce the beam off of. It is very handy for tripod macro shots and would be highly useful for night shots if there was only something to bounce the beam off :evil:

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 6:21 PM   #14

>> have asked and asked and asked the manufacturers to include ...<<<

I am not sure that manufacturers listen. I am almost certain that they do not think.

Case in point: Kyocera SL300R has a self timer but no tripod mount. Da. I guess you can set it on a table and hope for the best, but what would a set 1/4-20 threads cost 'em?
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 7:02 PM   #15

Yea it really does stink; even to those who don't think you need it- you don't know until you need it

that would also make an interesting camera mod...
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote