Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2004, 4:07 PM   #1

Default need emergency replacement digicam <$450-500 (maybe ebay)

First of all, my price range ($450-500) includes shipping, tax, memory, and batteries (may be able to push a bit over with the case) where applicable. Also, I need to have the camera in my posession by next Thursday (March 25).

in a nutshell....

I'd like something better than the Canon A70 it will be replacing. I already have a bunch of 1800mAh NiMH AA batteries and 1GB and 512MB (and 256 & 64) CF cards.

What I would like:
4 or 5 megapixel if possible (but willing to go with 3 (but no less than 2048x1536 resolution)
fairly low noise (good noise reduction and/or a not-too-small sensor. Also an F/stop rating of 2.0 or 1.8 would be nice. I would like to be able to take somewhat better low-light no-flash pics than my Canon A70 will take
a long telephoto lens (preferably 10x but willing to go with less so long as I can still crop in close and get subjects from fairly far away - would probably mean I'd need more megapixels if I didn't have a long telephoto)
something that will fit in my front pants pocket (for perspective, a Minolta S414 or Canon G* will, a Minolta Z1 and A1 won't.)
not required, but would be nice is a movie mode limited only by available memory with functional zoom and audio while taking movies, and a night-shot infra-red mode.

If it comes down to the wire, should I just sacrifice and get a Sony DSC-V1, Canon PowerShot A80, or Canon G3 or G5 or another similar one?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2004, 4:44 PM   #2

In a week, the only off the shelf cameras I can think of that can be fit into a pocket are:

Pentax 550/555 ... About the right price with a 256M card not the greatest low light but a powerful flash that makes up for it. 5x zoom/ 5MP. 550 is obsolete but still pretty good, 555 is the replacement that has a few new features (better low light performance). Funny battery that lasts for a long time.

Olympus 750 4MP, 10x Zoom bit of a stretch for a pocket. If you get lucky ebay might match your price needs. xD memory may put you over (sell your CF cards?)

Olympus 730/740 3MP versions of 750. 740 has less features, 730 harder to find. With a 256M card you could meet your price.
------------------------------------

With a 3x zoom and 4MP the G3 is the only camera I would consider. But then again I would never be able to live with a 3x zoom.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:43 PM   #3

I went to Office Depot & Best Buy for a few minutes today (they were next door to each other)...

Olympus C-750 - might fit... price too high in store
Kodak DX6490 - not sure - maybe too big? lower price than C-750
Sony DSC-F717 - 5x telephoto, nightshot, way too big
Sony DSC-F828 - 7.1x tele, nightshot, gigantic, too much dinero
Olympus C-740 - probably ok?
Canon G5 - 5mp 4x, F/2.0 - probably would fit
Fuji S7000 - too big? btw is it 3 megapixel actual, 6 megapixel simulated? I think I read on some other review site that some of the Fujis might be that way... also this only has 6x telephoto
Fuji S3000 - 10x, 3.2mp, might be too big though
Nikon 8700 - 8mp, 8x, CF card, might be too big, pricey

also how good is the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 for image quality?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer88key
I went to Office Depot & Best Buy for a few minutes today (they were next door to each other)...

Good camera (I have one) but I wouldn't put it in my pocket.

Quote:
Fuji S7000 - too big? btw is it 3 megapixel actual, 6 megapixel
simulated? I think I read on some other review site that some of
of the Fujis might be that way... also this only has 6x telephoto
Nope 6 meg actual 12 interpolated

Quote:
Great reviews and the image stabilized leica lens is probably the best of all the superzooms.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleDude
Quote:

Good camera (I have one) but I wouldn't put it in my pocket.

Quote:
Fuji S7000 - too big? btw is it 3 megapixel actual, 6 megapixel
simulated? I think I read on some other review site that some of
of the Fujis might be that way... also this only has 6x telephoto
Nope 6 meg actual 12 interpolated

oh... then maybe some i was seeing on dpreview.com (forget the models) were 3 actual and 6 interpolated...

Quote:
Great reviews and the image stabilized leica lens is probably the best of all the superzooms.
where could I find one? except it might be too big...

which should I go for, a 10x telephoto with 3 megapixel, or something like a 4x or 5x and 5 megapixel?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:39 AM   #6

Quote:
where could I find one? except it might be too big...
I'm not sure where you are but in California Fry's has them in stock. Most of the bigger stores have web sites you can search through.

If you go over to the reviews Steve has links for online stores (and shows pictures of the size).

Bhphoto would be my recommendation (reliable, non-grey market).

Quote:
which should I go for, a 10x telephoto with 3 megapixel, or something like a 4x or 5x and 5 megapixel?

I don't know what you are shooting or your final destination so it's hard to answer.

3MP will print 8x10 nicely and 5x7 all the time. If you are shooting for a web site, its a fine size.

I would not give up my 10x telephoto but I shoot surfing and sports shots. Once you go beyond about 3-4x the on board flash is too weak for indoor shots so you will need a powerful external flash to use the 10x in a dark area.

4/5mp gives you a little crop space and you can blow it up to even larger sizes.

3MP/4MP cameras are less noisy and (generally) have better low light performance. 5MP cameras have a little more noise. All the brand name digicams give good results. Go through the reviews on the main site and look at the picture quality.

-------------------------------------

I have both. The Kodak 6490 is my "good" camera, I use it when I am planning on taking a camera. I have a Pentax Optio-550 that I use for every day (I keep it in my front pants pocket or in my coat). The Pentax also has a great macro and supermacro capability.

I have shot 8857 shots with the 6490 and 1460 with the Optio. I will be augmenting the collection with a Minolta A2 or Canon Pro1 pretty soon, it will be used where I currently use the 6490. With the 6490 being retired to backup camera status.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:29 PM   #7

Default The S7000 is a bargain at the price

I would get a Fuji S7000. The picture quality is decent. I have taken about 1500 pictures in the 5 months I have owned one, and I am quite pleased with its performance. It's 6 megapixels uninterpolated, 12 megapixels interpolated (two compression ratios in JPEG and also RAW) The S5000 and F700 have the interpoloated 6 megapixels. You can use your compact flash cards with it.

Try www.buydig.com. With next day shipping, it's about 550 bucks before the 100 buck rebate. If you want someplace closer to you, try www.newegg. com.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 5:30 AM   #8

I'm seriously considering, for the sake of price, to limit my choices to something that takes AA batteries and CompactFlash cards, and will fit in my pocket. This rules out the sony DSC-V1 which was one of my choices due to 5 megapixel, low noise, and night shot, and the Olympus UltraZoom models (730, 740, 750) which will fit in my pocket.
A Canon G3 might still be a possiblity even if it doesn't take AA batteries, depending on how much a couple batteries & charger cost.
Otherwise... it's see if I can get a Canon S1 IS, or settle for an A80. I already have a bunch of AA NiMH's and 1GB+512MB+256MB+64MB CF type I memory.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:17 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm seriously considering, for the sake of price, to limit my choices to something that takes AA batteries and CompactFlash cards, and will fit in my pocket. This rules out the sony DSC-V1 which was one of my choices due to 5 megapixel, low noise, and night shot, and the Olympus UltraZoom models (730, 740, 750) which will fit in my pocket.
A Canon G3 might still be a possiblity even if it doesn't take AA batteries, depending on how much a couple batteries & charger cost.
Otherwise... it's see if I can get a Canon S1 IS, or settle for an A80. I already have a bunch of AA NiMH's and 1GB+512MB+256MB+64MB CF type I memory.

Ok... I'm probably thinking either the A80 or the G3.

When should the S1 IS be released? I need to have a camera by next thursday or friday.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 9:04 AM   #10

S1 wont be out until April or May, I don't think it would be considered a pocket camera.

Consider getting the camera at Costco they have a very good return policy and you can return the camera you pick up right now and upgrade based upon what you learn and if you like the newer cameras.