Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 18, 2004, 4:47 PM   #1

Default WHAT IS THE BEST 8MP CAMERA SO FAR AMONG ALL?

I READ A LOT ABOUT 8MP CAMERAS...BUT I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINION ABOUT IT.

I AM A F707 OWNER FOR 2 YEARS AND I AM THINKING ABOUT BUYING A NEW CAMERA....MY FIRST INSTINCT WAS TO PRESERVE "FAMILY´S TRADITION" AND GET THE F828, BUT THE MORE I READ THE MORE I BECAME CONFUSED....

HIGH NOISE LEVELS, CA, PURPLE FIRING...IT SEEMS THAT NONE OF THE 8MP CAMERAS IS TOTALLY FREE OF THESE PROBLEMS....IS IT CORRECT? WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT? WHICH´S THE BEST CAMERA IN IMAGE QUALITY? WHAT ABOUT ACESSORIES?

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT IT
alex11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:13 PM   #2

Oweee, you'r yelling

Out of the 8mp lineup I'd have to pick the Canon EOS 1D mark-II.
- 8.3 megapixels,
- 8.5 frames a second for 40 frames,
- 45 point autofocus,
- larger thus less noisey sensor than all the P&S cameras,
- shutter rated for 200,000 cycles,
- iso 100-1600 expandable to 50-3200
and all my EF lenses would fit .

BUT what is your reason for wanting to move to a higher MP camera? Unless you plan to make huge prints a 4-6mp will do excellent 8*10 to 13*19 inch prints.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 9:42 AM   #3

I need to print large format such as banners, posters...bigger than A2.

Besides, I 707 already took 14.000 pictures and I have a problem with memory stick contact...I´ll fix it and then sell the equipment...
Old Mar 19, 2004, 2:07 PM   #4

You might take a look at the Minolta A2. This is the only current review I’m aware of: http://luminous-landscape.com/review...nolta-a2.shtml I image Steve, Dave and Phil will release reviews soon.

But that review found the A2 to not suffer from the purple fringing/CA problems of the 828. The A2 prices will probably start to drop soon. They are pricey right now because the camera hasn’t been out long.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 1:41 AM   #5
Administrator

We've posted our A2 First Look with some sample pics:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a2.html

More to come shortly, we are currently working on the A2 review, Olympus C-8080 review, Nikon D70 and several more.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:05 PM   #6

Default 8 mp cameras.

I bought the Sony F828 some 6 weeks ago. Struggled with it a little in the low light of a very grey Feburary, but as the light levels are increasing the shots are simply stunning. I have also invested in a tripod to eliminate camera shake and use it whenever possible. The handling is miles ahead of the Minolta, I have a freind who owns one and the lens zoom action for example feels very cheap and inconsistent and this is the most used control on the camera. I believe that the Minolta uses the same CCD as the Sony so will probably exhibit similar charachteristics. I worried about the reports of fringing and CA, but the best advice I read was to use the camera, get used to it and enjoy it, I am, I do.
I would have no hesitation to reccomend it to anyone, but of course have neither tested or owned any of the other cameras.
Ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:38 PM   #7

You have to try them out and see what feels right to you. I handled the 828 and didn't like it at all. Way too big, heavy and long nosed for me. I wanted something that was smaller/lighter than a DSLR. The Minolta feels just right, like a "real" camera, but not so big. With the anti shake, you can often leave the tripod behind which is huge for me. The 828 zoom ring did have a smoother feel, but both of them work fine and are leaps ahead of a W/T button setup. I also like way you get to camera settings on the Minolta. Pretty much everything is available via a button or wheel. No need to go button mashing through LCD menus.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 9:43 AM   #8

I must agree...F828 is a big camera... I read some comments from photographers who like heavy cameras, so it won´t shake so easy but I have no opinion about since I only use my F707 in a regular basis.

The Canon Powershot Pro 1 pictures I saw show a small camera that fits in the hand....that´s interesting....

What I didn´t like on what I read about Canon is the gap in its zoom ring.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 9:46 AM   #9

Steve...Do you believe that Nikon D70 will sweep away all this 8MP cameras and become THE best option?
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:07 AM   #10

Default If I had to pick one... Olympus 8080

If I had to pick one I would pick Olympus C8080
Hpoto is offline   Reply With Quote