Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Is This Photo Even Possible?

I use Paint Shop Pro to extreme zoom into NASA's public photos. At NASA's posted 72 ppi, bi-cubic interpolation is a must. QUESTION: Is this photo from NASA's public CERES photos even possible from the stated 2400 mi. high orbit? I increased resolution 30% over each of seven passes while adjusting levels, focus and noise at each pass. What is the actual digital-magnification level achieved here?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=81ea0b215e

Last edited by Don Rivers; Apr 24, 2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: forgot link
Don Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:36 PM   #2

I have no idea what that's supposed to be a photo of, but let me say that humans are predisposed to see faces whenever we can, so if you see a face in an otherwise random collection of pixels, it's probably all in your head.

In addition, from an altitude of 2400 miles, my guess is that the only thing you'd see is the tops of people's heads, not their faces.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:04 AM   #3

Default Entire Occator Ollie Collage

Thanks for your reply. Here's my whole collage of that NASA CERES photo. A few of us here see a humanoid sitting and looking over it's left shoulder while using it's left hand in a 90 degree front-upwards reach. The quality is bad and I'm but an amateur but if enough professionals feel that this pic is technically impossible, then I posit that NASA is inserting fake photos into their real photos, possibly for security and verification purposes. I've ruled out paredolia and randomly generated images...at least 3 others can see this. Do you know of ANYONE else who can also repeat my efforts and confirm this image? Price?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=17c8665081
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:42 PM   #4

If you see "a humanoid sitting and looking over it's left shoulder while using it's left hand in a 90 degree front-upwards reach" when looking from above, that humanoid would have to be lying face down on the ground (or whatever), looking up over its left shoulder, and would coincidentally have the upper portion of its body oriented toward the north so that it would appear right-side-up in the image.

We are predisposed to see faces and patterns and familiar shapes where none exist. I doubt that NASA is inserting fake photos in with their real photos. They have enough trouble keeping track of their real photos, and people think they see plenty of faces and patterns and familiar shapes in those.

I have no doubt that you're simply projecting your own perceptions onto what is probably natural, random formations on the surface as captured from 2400 miles away.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:10 PM   #5

Thanks again. You've confirmed to me that this photo, if also confirmed, is askance with the apparent angle of the 2400 mi. orbital NASA photo. To me, it also looks painted...badly. Also, how did I get color from a B/W NASA pic? ( I used only saturation brush). Added to the fact that I'm not yet certain that merely increasing resolution can produce the digital zoom levels achieved here...and from a .jpg ,no less.
I am seeking anyone who can also control resolution, focus, levels, and noise to join me in verifying this apparently falsely inserted photo from NASA. Paredolia cannot be replicated across different computers...or eyeballs. I'm no iconoclast but I do hope to warn others of the futility of "Scanning the Heavens" via NASA photos. I include a pic from the other side of CERES which, I must now assume, is also fake. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=57ba4725ab

Last edited by Don Rivers; Apr 30, 2016 at 9:02 PM. Reason: added qualifier
Old May 1, 2016, 4:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rivers View Post
... I'm no iconoclast but I do hope to warn others of the futility of "Scanning the Heavens" via NASA photos. ...
If anything, this should serve as a warning that there are always nuts looking to discredit any worthwhile endeavor.