Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 21, 2016, 2:50 AM   #1

Default 360 degree video

Now the trend is 360 degree videos is any one having those of 360degree capturing How would be the future with these 360 videos.
surya kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2016, 7:43 AM   #2

In the 1964 New York World's Fair, the New York State Pavilion featured a 360 video of various scenes within the state. It was filmed with a special rig of 9 cameras that were all worn around the cameraman, and projected on 9 screens in a round theater.

The theater didn't have any seats. People wandered around the theater as they watched the various scenes. I remember (as an eleven year old boy) that it was quite a long presentation, and after a while, when the initial novelty wore off, I would simply sit down against the wall and watch one screen. I can tell you that mine was not an uncommon reaction, especially since the Fair was quite large and many people got tired of walking and sought out exhibits that allowed them to sit while being entertained. So, the New York State Pavilion was not very popular.

So I don't see 360 video as a medium well suited for mass markets. IMAX is probably as close as that will ever get, and IMAX theaters are comparatively very small.

In addition, the only useful application of 360 video (so far) is Google Street View, which is recorded with a fleet of vehicles around the world recording imagery of popular as well as obscure locations, all of which are stored, but most of which is rarely if ever displayed (much like the video being projected in the '64 New York State Pavilion.) Google can afford to store all that video, but few other organizations, let alone individuals, can do so.

So while 360 video may be novel and interesting, history has shown that it's not very practical.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016, 10:03 AM   #3

On the other hand, I've been shopping for an RV lately. Several manufacturers have been putting 360 videos of their units on their websites. It can be useful for that. I would think the same would go for selling real estate, as when looking at RVs it gave me a much better idea of the little things and how the space was organized.

Those who are doing either a once in a lifetime trip or who travel a lot might like it, too. I saw a demo of Pentax's Theta camera and came away very impressed. Thought it would be grand to have one when I was standing at some viewpoint, to not only capture the fantastic view but also the hundreds that were also admiring the view. Well, it would be much more fun if wherever I was wasn't crowded...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016, 11:35 AM   #4

Wouldn't possibly as much as 90 of the image be blocked by the camera operator? Wouldn't the camera operator have to hold it over his or her head to obtain a view they didn't obstruct? ... or duck down to be out of the image?
Old May 30, 2016, 9:54 PM   #5

My Fuji will take 360 degree panoramas as still shots if I stand and turn a full circle. Might get awfully dizzy if it was video, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016, 6:53 AM   #6

A few of my Sony cameras can shoot 180 Panoramas, but I don't think much of them. They're only good for the novelty, but they can't be viewed in context. You would have to be surrounded by 3 or more monitors (forming half a hexagon, with the viewer in the center) in order for the image to be representative of the actual scene.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:56 AM   #7

360 videos in 1080p have been on youtube for some time now, you can go full screen and drag the view around with your mouse https://youtu.be/aQd41nbQM-U or another in 4k

https://youtu.be/2OzlksZBTiA

Last edited by musket; Jun 2, 2016 at 7:49 AM. Reason: additional
musket is offline   Reply With Quote