Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:13 PM   #1
Dig

Default How to figure out Resizing

I need help understanding how to figure out resizing. If I have a photo from a D7100 Nikon and want to make a large poster how do i figure this out.

How do I know if it can be a 24 x 48 or 24 x 60 or whatever size I want?

Any help appreciated
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:00 PM   #2

As you have 24mp to play with- and generally people view LARGE images from further away (less critical eye from a distance), I'd say you could print up to 2x3 ft easily...probably more...assuming the photo captured is a sharp/focused one...

Pro photographers were making large prints 10 yrs ago with half the resolution of your D7100....

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 25, 2016 at 5:07 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:01 PM   #3

You can go with any size you want, really, but the resolution will be lower at the larger sizes. If you keep the aspect ratio the same as the camera's sensor (3:2), the resolution in each direction will be the same.
For example: your D7100 is, I believe, 24MP, so the pixel dimensions are approximately 6000x4000. If you want a print with a resolution of 300DPI (which is very fine resolution), You will have (6000px/300dpi)= 20 inches tall, by (4000px/300dpi)= 13/13 inches wide. (for printing purposes, a pixel can be considered a dot)
That is pretty high resolution for something that will be hung on a wall (as opposed to held in the hand and viewed close up), so lower resolution would still look just fine. 150DPI would probably be more than acceptable, so you could double those dimensions without the photo looking bad.
If you want to go larger still, resizing and sharpening of the photo can stretch it further. People have gotten quite excellent poster size prints with 6MP cameras.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:31 AM   #4
Dig

Thank you friends for your quick responses. Right before I went back to see your thoughts I found this on the Internet.

http://www.photokaboom.com/photograp...alculators.htm

Thanks for your help
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote