Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:24 PM   #1

Default Image stabilization

I'm looking for information on the different image stabilization systems used by Minolta and Panasonic and the pros and cons of each.
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2004, 1:59 PM   #2

From what I have seen you wonít see the difference in actual use. Panasonic stabilizes a lens element and Minolta stabilizes the CCD. Minolta advertises a 3 f-stop advantage for their system, which might be slightly optimistic. But sample pictures people have posted handheld in limited light have been impressive.

Minolta appears to the planning ahead in refining a stabilization system they can use in a DSLR. They have announced a DSLR for the distant future that will include the CCD image stabilization so that it works with any lens you attach. They are so far behind in DSLR that they need an advantage like that. I might hold off buying a DSLR until they release the camera as stabilized lenses are usually telephoto and stabilization gives a lot of advantages at wide angle as well. It would be nice that any lens you bought would be stabilized.

But on a camera without interchangeable lenses it doesnít really make any difference which system is used. I have a FZ10 and can confirm it works very well. From reviews and sample photos with EXIF data the A1/A2 does just as good a job.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 2:09 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm considering the DZ10 and the A1, which is now available at a more reasonable price with the advent of the A2. I wish the DZ10 had a higher ISO than 400, but the Leica lens quality and long telephoto are very attractive compared to the A1 at 200mm. Have you had any problems with a max 400 ISO?
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 2:46 PM   #4

I havenít even used ISO 400 very much. I could imagine indoor available light situations that higher ISO would give you a shot where you would have to use a tripod or flash at ISO400. But plan on buying either Neat Image or Noise Ninja if you plan on shooting at ISO 800 with the A1. Even at ISO400 you wouldnít want to make a larger print without some noise reduction with either camera. Both programs are inexpensive and work well.

If I were choosing a single general-purpose camera I would probably get the A1 over the FZ10. Raw, SHQ, big manual zoom ring, wide angle capability, Adobe RGB, flip-out LCD and flip-up EVF, competent built-in flash, better low light focus, EVF that brightens in low light, distance readout in manual focus and most of all real physical controls so everything isnít menu dependent.

But it canít compete with the FZ10 for long telephoto shots.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote