Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 20, 2004, 6:39 PM   #1

Default How to print a page without black backgound

I really like to print out reviews and look at them off the computer.
How can I do this without the black background?

Thanks
Mitch
mitchH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2004, 12:09 AM   #2

I use Netscape 7.1, and when I open the "print preview" for a camera review, it shows it with a white background. I don't know what would happen with Internet Explorer, but it's possible it will also ignore the black background and print white pages.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 1:18 AM   #3

If you want just the text, just copy all and paste as text into Word.
If you want the entire thing, you can save the review as an html document, open the document with a text editor offline, and change the background color to something you like better.
I haven't done it, but I'm assuming it would work; for example, Steve's has a line in the page saying:
background-color: #000000;
Change this to another color number (look at various books or sites online for clues on how to do this), then open the file with your browser and check the results.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 9:40 PM   #4

Default Printing a review without the black background

Thanks people!
I was using IE6 and it gave the black background, a complete waste of ink. After trying to copy the document into Word, I got the graphics but no text.
That was when I posted my question!

After your replies, I saved the html file to disk then opened that into Word. Now I saw everything, but with the black background. I couldn't figure out how to format that away, BUT---a print preview got rid of the black background, but the text wasn't there. OK, now I think I know, the text was there but white. So I formatted the text black, and Voila! It's printing now.

Thanks very much again...

Mitch, still trying to figure out how I'm locked out of dpreview.com, its a IE or Adaware or Spybot issue.......grrrr..
mitchH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 1:03 PM   #5

Default Re: Printing a review without the black background

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchH
Thanks people!
I was using IE6 and it gave the black background, a complete waste of ink. After trying to copy the document into Word, I got the graphics but no text.
That was when I posted my question!

After your replies, I saved the html file to disk then opened that into Word. Now I saw everything, but with the black background. I couldn't figure out how to format that away, BUT---a print preview got rid of the black background, but the text wasn't there. OK, now I think I know, the text was there but white. So I formatted the text black, and Voila! It's printing now.
In MSIE 6, at least, there is an option in TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/ADVANCED/PRINTING to select whether to print background images and colors. If you are indeed using MSIE then find this and uncheck the option to print the background colors/images.
kettir is offline   Reply With Quote