Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 27, 2002, 4:51 AM   #1

Default Confused with DigiCam Focal Lengths "5.9 mm - 59 mm = 7.0 -

Hi All,
Help me solve the confusion,
The link at the bottom takes you to a page where there is a side by side comparion between the Olympus C-700 UZ and Olympus C-2100 UZ,
In the lens heading it says that the C-700 lens is 5.9 - 59 mm, and the C-2100 lens is 7.0 - 70 mm, (both 10X), but both the lenses happen to be 38-380 mm equivalent to the 35mm lenses.
Is this difference due to CCD size or something else.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc700uz/
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:40 AM   #2

You are correct sir. The various resolution CCDs are typically different sizes. There is a lengthly thread on the subject on another board and someone posted actual CCD dimensions that were publishied in a magazine recently. If you need the details I'll dig up the link for you.

Also note that 35mm conversion factors are usually based on the diagonal measurement of the frame, A 35mm frame is 24x36mm with a diagonal of 43.26mm Problem is digicams typically have a 3:4 aspect ratio as opposed to 35mm's 2;3 ratio and neither of those match typical print dimensions. Once you crop images for typical print ratios the conversion factors are different.

[Edited on 8-27-2002 by padeye]
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 2:07 AM   #3

Default Thanks

Padeye,
I would be highly thankful to you if you could find the link for me, i am trying to solve this mystery for quite some time now.
Thanks in Advance.
Ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:49 AM   #4

In this case, both the CCD and the lens are different. The 700 has a 1/2.7" CCD and the C2100UZ has a 1/2" CCD. As you mentioned, both have a 10X optical zoom, but the 2100 uses the Canon stabilized lens and the C700UZ has an Olympus designed, non-stabilizing lens. There is no difference in the 35mm equivalency, but the actual focal length on the 700 is less than on the 2100 so it has a bit greater depth of field at any given equivalency. It also works better with the TCON-14 lens than the 2100UZ does - less distortion with the inexpensive TCON-14.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote