Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:25 AM   #1

Default I am asked to format my card

I have a Sanyo Xacti digicam. When I insert a 16gb card which contains video I am asked if I want to format the card. If I try again I either get the same request or the video appears when I press play. Is the problem with the card or the camera?
kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:22 AM   #2
JR1

Try this on your computer then put it back in the camera

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Also I never use cheap cards only known decent brands, you get what you pay for

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:45 AM   #3

Most cameras require that memory cards be formatted in the camera in order to work correctly. If you have not done this, or the camera detects content from another source, it asks you do format the card. Some cards cannot be used at all until you do.
Go to the camera menu and select the option to format the card, and all should be well. If not, there is likely a problem with the card.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:08 AM   #4
JR1

Ok lets answer this

Most people format their cards in camera which is 99.99% of the time ok BUT, what you need to remember is that this procedure does not remove the Master Boot Record of the card, it simply deletes the information on the card because the MBR is not stored in the same place on the card as the data MBRs can become corrupt over time.

To properly format a card you need to do a low level format which Canon does offer see attached.

Once in a while to fully restore a card you should properly format a card and then do it in the camera after

It is like either just rubbing out pencil notes on a page but leaving the index in tact or tearing out the index page and page written on and starting over.

You can keep changing the oil in your car service after service after service but occasionally it does no harm to FLUSH the system fully as well with flushing oil

OK
Attached Images

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk

Last edited by JR1; Nov 16, 2017 at 9:13 AM.
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I have a Sanyo Xacti digicam. When I insert a 16gb card which contains video I am asked if I want to format the card. If I try again I either get the same request or the video appears when I press play. Is the problem with the card or the camera?
There is no problem with the camera or the card. Digital cameras always want to format new cards, not just to clear the card of old files, but also to create the folder structure that the camera will expect to exist when storing new images and movies.

This operation doesn't actually erase the entire card (except in the case that JR1 mentioned about Canon). It just writes a new, blank File Allocation Table (FAT), so it loses track of all the stuff that used to be stored on it. (This is how file and photo recovery software works. It ignores the FAT and reads directly from each location on the media, patching things back together.)

The problem is that when you format a card in a camera, the extra stuff that it does after it finishes (create folders, writing image databases, etc.) can overwrite the locations that contain files and images you may want later, rendering them irretrievable.

If you want to keep that video, you need to store it elsewhere before you use that card in that camera.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 16, 2017 at 11:25 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:39 AM   #6

Thanks to you all. I copied the contents of the card to my computer then formatted the card in the camera. I was relieved to find that all the clips were still on the card.
kafka is offline   Reply With Quote