Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:37 AM   #1

Default Is The Swiveling/Rotating LCD Readlly Important For Macro?

Is The Swiveling/Rotating LCD Readlly Important For Macro Work?

I am looking at 2 cameras. A75 and A80. The difference in MP. etc...
is not really important to me. The one one thing that the A80 has
over the A75 is the swiveling LCD.

I have read that this is great for odd positions to take pics at parades, shows, etc... Or self portraits too. I don't think I will be using it for that hardly ever, if at all. But would use it for macro work. My question is, is it that useful for macro work? At a $150.00 difference in camera price I would like to get some opinions.

I am asking here as it is not a camera question (Canon, or vs this or that), and just the swiveling LCD feature.

Thanks & regards,

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:51 AM   #2

I've never had a camera with a swiveling LCD, and for macros, I find it hard to imagine how it would really help that much. Perhaps there is some kind of macro shooting that it would make easier, but not by much. I basically don't like to use the LCD for composition, anyway. I prefer to get down on my belly and look slowly through the viewfinder when necessary; in part, that's due to the extraneous light hitting the LCD that makes it "busier" when trying to compose, in part, perhaps due to just habit on my part.
I guess it depends on your own shooting style and druthers.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:43 AM   #3

I have found the swivelling feature useful. The last time I used it on my CP4500 I was very close to a beetle on a rather muddy path. I swivelled the camera body and was able to get away with muddy knees as oposed to all over mud. I was also able to stay reasonably comfortable throughout the process and only atracted minor attention from the police....

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies!

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:20 PM   #5

I have it on my Nikon 5700, but have yet to use the feature. As I am 47 my eyes are not what they used to be and the regular viewfinder is far better especially for macro work.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:34 AM   #6

I find the swivelling LCD feature to be helpful for macros. You can sometimes compose a shot that would be nigh on impossible without it. You can take shot of flowers from below, something that's likely more hit and miss without it. Composing with the optical viewfinder will mean that you have to consider parallax and adjust for it. For regular shots it's not a problem but up close it is.

Parallax is due to the viewfinder and taking lens being offset - it's one of the big upsides to having an SLR. Essentially you don't actually see the same image as the sensor/film does.

I also find the swivelling LCD to be handy for photgraphy kids - holding the camera at waist level puts it at their height which is more pleasing in my view. I've also done one self portrait with it but that was more of a spur of the moment, I wouldn't have paid money for that.

The final upside is that with the swivelling LCD you can hold the camera on your lap/bench and do time lapse work with a bean bag or mini-tripod and not raise attention.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote