Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:45 PM   #1

Default What with these thumbnails?

I have a Sanyo..xacti vpc hd 700. Every time I shoot a video and then remove the memory card and insert it into the computer, I get the same thumbnail for each new DCIM video file..like the same thumbnail is stuck in the camera and has nothing to do with the video. What is going on here?
This has to be a file folder thumbnail but how do you get rid of it..I know this has to be simple , but I have been all through the instruction manual and online,,,can't find it.. thanks
shovel52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:47 AM   #2

From what you say, I think this is a Windows feature, not a camera feature. It could possibly be an icon for the file type (extension) that the program you use to edit your videos uses, and different programs may use different icons for the same file type.

Do the thumbnails bear any resemblance to the video in each file, or are they all the same, and unrelated to the videos they contain?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:27 AM   #3

In your Windows explorer (guessing you use windows), use the view tab at top to change the view to *details*, which will give you a text listing of the file name, size, date, etc.

edit: Re-reading, it seems you are saying you have a thumbnail view from the first video (I'm guessing) and every other video you upload to the PC from your memory card uses the same one.
Q: have you installed the software which came with your camera to the pc? If not, this could possibly be the problem.
Another possibility is the thumbnail cache either being corrupted or full. In which case clearing it could help. I use either Ccleaner or Tweaking.com Windows repair for these types of jobs. Ccleaner is a little simpler to use, and faster.

Last edited by VTphotog; Nov 28, 2017 at 2:53 PM.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:54 PM   #4

Thank you. I found out that you are correct, this is a windows issue..The thumbnail is being created by windows when the card (video) is played by a file player. Depending on the file player, GOM player for example,then it is a GOM media player file, or windows media player, it says accordingly. If there is only one file on the card then it uses the same thumbnail over and over,but if there is two files or more than the others have different thumbnails, all pertaining to the video played..I played the card on a third computer, and since the video has never been played on that computer, the thumbnail changed..so it is not the camera..but I would love to know where windows
stashes this junk. I will keep looking , I will probably re format, since I don't keep anything on the computer, but thanks for the help..
shovel52 is offline   Reply With Quote