Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:18 PM   #11

I wasn't being sarcastic.

Anyway, for the type of warranty you are looking for, you will pay a lot more than just the regular kind. Like the other fella says, shop around to get an idea of the types of coverage and costs.

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:25 PM   #12

I wasn't being sarcastie either. You asked if they provided such warranties. Vague questions generally receive vague replies. If you find some specific companies that interest your needs, it is much easier to get some feedback that would be more tailored to your question.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:24 PM   #13

Since you're looking for coverage of accidents, you may want to check into an "all risk" insurance policy. That would cover accidental damage as well as theft. It wouldn't cover routine malfunctions, however.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:58 PM   #14

I know that one of the most popular extended warranty companies is Mack. Places like B&H and Adormama sell them, and you can buy seperately. They have been reviewed excellently.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:22 AM   #15

You also might want to really study those warrantees. Often they will not repair your camera, but will exchange it for a reconditioned camera (translation: a camera that someone else sent in for repair, and they repaired it back to factory specs, and then gave to you!).

You may want to contact your insurance company and see what coverage you have with your home owner's insurance. You can also get a rider for your home owner's insurance that would cover the camera specifically. It might only be worth doing that for a camera you put a sizeable investment into.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:07 PM   #16

Thanks for the idea, but I don't have a home owner insurance, I don't evene own a home.
skuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuba
Thanks for the idea, but I don't have a home owner insurance, I don't evene own a home.
Then get renter's insurance

If that is not available, you still may wish to speak to an insurance agent. But again, it is only worth doing this for equipment of a sizeable investment.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:47 PM   #18

One of the larger photo chains here in Canada offers their own waranties for the dsc-v1 it is 99$ for a 2 year additional waranite.

Last paragraph in it states
Quote:
Remember, Henry's Extended Life Plans cover everything the manufacturer covers, but abuse, impact, and water and/or sand damage void all warranties
I never bother with extended waranties on electronics as they are usually obsolete long before the original waranite runs out.

Actually I think things are carefully manfacturered to malfunction a couple of days after any and all waranties run out.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 1:24 PM   #19

skuba - Like others here, I too don't believe in extended warranties but don't fault you for wanting to explore the option for the $$ you have riding on your new purchase.
I would get the quotes you are seeking - and then look at ebay and see what two-year old technology is selling for. Chances are - you will be able to buy a used replacement for less money (or nearly equal) than the warranty costs in which case I would bank the money you planned on putting into the warranty - then if your camera breaks - you've got some funds for a replacement and can determine at that time whether you want an equal replacement or have the money for an upgrade. If you camera doesn't break - then you've got money for your next purchase.
The reason bestbuy, circuitcity, etc. always push these warranties is because they have become major cash-cows for them. I have heard stories of people having trouble cashing in on extended warranties even from the brick-and-motar extendeds you would think you could trust.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 1:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cczych
The reason bestbuy, circuitcity, etc. always push these warranties is because they have become major cash-cows for them. I have heard stories of people having trouble cashing in on extended warranties even from the brick-and-motar extendeds you would think you could trust.
I used to work for Best Buy. We got incentives for selling a warranty.

BTW. I had a "home warranty" when we purchased our home (the seller paid for the first year). We had a heat pump go out. I wanted it replaced, but the warranty people would only repair it. Well the "repair" was more or less a "band-aid" because it went again the following year. Luckilly I still had the warranty and they paid only to replace the compressor, but not the entire system. I convinced them to give me the money they would have paid toward the compressor and then I went out and got a new system. So, there's an inside look as to how these warranty companies work.