Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Terminology

I ran across this:https://fstoppers.com/humor/are-comm...-stupid-218633 and began to wonder if people are really put off by photography's terms for common settings and ways of describing the effects of changing those settings. I'm certainly not promoting the concept or the site, just curious as to how people feel about having to learn 'all this stuff' (as one acquaintance put it) in order to just take a picture.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:05 PM   #2

I'm all for using "exposure time" instead of "shutter speed", and "Depth of Focus" instead of "Depth of Field", but I won't switch until Wikipedia does.

As a former professional metrologist and a computer professional, I know that the precision we use in what we say and how we say it helps to convey concepts quickly, and when you start deviating from the technological lexicon, you risk alienating your audience.

Taking snapshots is all well and good, but if you want to be a photographer, you need to learn the terminology associated with the technology. There is no substitute for the words "Vignetting" or "Chromatic Aberration" or "Rule of Thirds", so get used to it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:27 AM   #3
Banned

The perspectives may differ from person to person.
Maitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitri View Post
The perspectives may differ from person to person.
True, but if you want to communicate effectively with others in the field, you need to use an agreed upon lexicon. And, so far, the agreed upon lexicon includes Depth of Field.

If you're not going to speak the same language as others around you, you isolate yourself.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:41 AM   #5

Every hobby and profession has its own vocabulary which needs to be learned and experienced. To a machinist, "a tenth" has a completely different meaning than to the general public. "Pitch" means something different to a carpenter than to a musician. "Stop" conveys things to a photographer that it doesn't to a driver.
As with traveling to a foreign country, it will enhance the experience if one learns the language first.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:01 AM   #6

Well. I think it was just click bait for Chelsea and Tony.

A way to have fun, but if someone was unsure about what these terms mean, it would be the perfect reason to buy their book.

Which, really IMHO is the whole purpose of the video. LOL.

TBH I think there is nothing wrong with the terms.

They may be cryptic sometimes . . . but once you know what they mean then its no problem.

I actually like the history behind some of the terms.

Such as stops coming from the actual plates with holes cut in them that photographers used to use.

My favourite is focal length, which I swear might be a play on the word focal which can mean fireplace . . . so it may actually be meaning fire length, which . . . is actually the length that you can hold a simple lens away from something to start it burning . . . the point where the rays converge. Which is . . . what focal length is.

I actually did some digging a while back about the history of that term here.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57658628

I'm actually planning to go back and dig a little further this summer. LOL.

But . . . I think it is really nice to have hints in the terms and language that tie back to the roots of how photography was all put together in the first place.

To replace them with terms that "make sense" (who the heck wants that LOL), kinda erases these nice tie-ins into the past history of photography.

Take care,

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Feb 8, 2018 at 12:10 PM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:56 AM   #7

I'm a firm believer that the wheel needs to be reinvented every so often, just to remind us where we came from. But not to try to do it better. Otherwise, you might end up with a camel instead of a horse.