Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:07 PM   #1

Default Flickr being sold to SmugMug

I got an email today from Flickr, stating they were being bought by SmugMug. You have until May 25 to either:

A. Download all the pictures you want to keep, then delete your Flickr account, or

B. Do nothing, and your Flickr account and your data will be transferred to SmugMug, and will be governed by SmugMug's terms and privacy policy.

I have over 4,000 pictures on Flickr. I'm not sure how easy it will be to download 4,000 pictures.

Or, I do nothing and end up with a SmugMug account.

Any thoughts from current Flickr users?

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:28 PM   #2

I'm an Admin for a large Flickr Group, and I haven't heard anything beyond this:

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/04/20...ug-flickr-faq/

To my knowledge, the only real change is switching from Yahoo's ToS to SmugMug's. On May 25th, Smugmug's ToS go into effect for all Flickr members. If you don't like it, you need to download your photos and close your Flickr account. If you do nothing, nothing changes except the rules of the game.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 24, 2018 at 3:37 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the biggest change will be who signs the paychecks. I think I'll hang out with Flickr and see what happens. Right now, I'm logging in with my Yahoo account, and I suppose the login will have to change down the road. They're saying it will be pretty much business-as-usual, so we'll see.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the biggest change will be who signs the paychecks. I think I'll hang out with Flickr and see what happens. Right now, I'm logging in with my Yahoo account, and I suppose the login will have to change down the road. They're saying it will be pretty much business-as-usual, so we'll see.
That's what I'm doing, Robert. If things get like they did at Photobucket, I'm gone. I've got all my stuff backed up to a HD, Amazon Prime, and Google Photos. If push comes to shove, I'll start sharing from ImgBB. But, I'll hang loose and see what happens for now.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:55 PM   #5

My big concern is what will happen to my group. I've moved my photos from one place to another before, so that doesn't worry me, but the Sony Camera Club has almost 22,000 members, almost 1,750 discussion topics, and almost 550,000 photos in the Pool.

I'd like not to have to start over.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
My big concern is what will happen to my group. I've moved my photos from one place to another before, so that doesn't worry me, but the Sony Camera Club has almost 22,000 members, almost 1,750 discussion topics, and almost 550,000 photos in the Pool.

I'd like not to have to start over.
I would like to think SmugMug has that worked out. You are certainly not alone in you apprehension.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
That's what I'm doing, Robert. If things get like they did at Photobucket, I'm gone. I've got all my stuff backed up to a HD, Amazon Prime, and Google Photos. If push comes to shove, I'll start sharing from ImgBB. But, I'll hang loose and see what happens for now.
I still technically have an account with Photobucket, with a few pics there, but have given up using them for years. I guess nothing is permanent on the internet, and all we can hope for is that these acquisitions go smoothly for both the service as well as the customer. Like you, I have all my photos on an external HD, as well as OneDrive and Flickr. I have my PC set up where my Documents, Pictures, Downloads, and Videos are stored on my PCs hard drive, as well as OneDrive. Every change made to a folder or individual file gets changed in OneDrive as well. So we'll see. Good luck to us all. lol

My Flickr
-Robert-