Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 7, 2018, 8:43 AM   #1

Default SP590uz vs FZ150

Hi all,
I have the FZ150, and it seems like a good camera. Just a few days ago I got an outstanding deal (I really feel like I stole it.) on an SP590. I haven't done a comparison yet, but I'm going to keep one and sell the other. If anyone has had both, or feels strongly one way or the other about either, I like to hear what you have to say.
Thanks,
..... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2018, 5:13 PM   #2

https://www.imaging-resource.com/cam...nasonic/fz150/

The big things for me are that the FZ150 has a higher resolution tiltable screen, can record 1080p video and record RAW files. Another difference that might concern you is that the FZ150 has a hot shoe that the SP590 doesn't.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018, 1:31 AM   #3

After reading the pros and cons of each camera, I would keep the FZ150. It seems to beat the Olympus in every area (important to me ), ie: strengths vs weaknesses. Have never owned either. I have a Canon SX40HS, and it does a great job when I need a superzoom instead of a DSLR, which is most of the time, it seems.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2018, 1:32 PM   #4

Thanks guys.
Yes, you're right, the Lumix does seem to come out ahead in almost every category. I found this site http://cameradecision.com/compare/Pa...mpus-SP-590-UZ and it overwhelmingly comes out in favour of the Lumix. I will shoot some pictures with both and let you know how they compare from a subjective point of view; but it does look like a no-brainer.
...... john

Last edited by Shinnen; May 8, 2018 at 9:18 PM.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:25 PM   #5

G'day John

Years ago we had a similar Oly in the household and although I found its optics "more than just okay" I also found that the ergonomics were quite unsuitable to my fingers ... thus the Panny won out in that regard. [she however with her smaller fingers loved the Oly]

While you have / are reviewing overall specs, I suggest that you also look seriously at the size / shape / weight / eyepiece and the 1001 little things that make a camera suitable for you and you especially

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2018, 11:40 AM   #6

Hi Phil,
Yes, the on/off button and the picture review buttons are bit small. I've had cameras with this sort of problem before, and I just stick something on to them, so that I can feel, and push them more easily.
To be honest, there aren't too many issues I won't put up with in order to get a good image. That's pretty much all that matters to me. Having said that, I've tried to get used to the LCD, as a viewer, and I JUST DON'T LIKE IT. As a result, requiring a viewfinder severely limits my choices.
..... john
Old May 9, 2018, 11:41 AM   #7

Hi all,
I've taken a few comparison shots in P mode under various lighting conditions, distances, and macro; and the Lumix does seem to be the better camera, especially wrt dynamic range, DOF, and clarity. The differences aren't huge, but they are consistent. I'll likely just keep the Lumix.
I've read a lot of differing opinions in the past between CCD and CMOS. Do you think that should be/is a factor to consider when choosing a camera?
... john

Last edited by Shinnen; May 9, 2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: diction
Old May 9, 2018, 4:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi all,
I've read a lot of differing opinions in the past between CCD and CMOS. Do you think that should be/is a factor to consider when choosing a camera?... john
G'day mate

While there are technical experts here who can give beaut explanations to your Q - I think of the 2 sensors as "being the equivalent of Diesel fuel & Petrol / Gasolene fuel" ... ie they both do the same job but a little differently

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2018, 5:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
I've read a lot of differing opinions in the past between CCD and CMOS. Do you think that should be/is a factor to consider when choosing a camera?
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_...MOS_technology

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but on balance, I think CMOS is the better choice.

But I wouldn't pick one camera over another based entirely on CCD vs. CMOS.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2018, 9:50 PM   #10

OK ..... thanks.
... john