Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 21, 2018, 2:37 PM   #11

Hi Brian,
Yes. When I look at a bright florescent light, not directly but off at an angle, I can see some little shiny specks, that come into focus the same time as a pencil tip held up to the lens. (There doesn't seem to be a lot of them.) I can't see any clumps, which is what the web site says fungus will appear to be. Yes, no problems with dirty sensors eh.
Why is the number '125' orange on the shutter speed dial?
The camera doesn't really take anything into account. You have to set it properly to get what you want. I imagine it takes considerably greater knowledge of the basics of photography to get good pictures.
How does the iso rating of film equate to the iso rating of a, say CCD, sensor?
... john

Last edited by Shinnen; May 21, 2018 at 7:51 PM. Reason: diction
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018, 5:52 PM   #12

The '125' is orange to make the setting easy to find, because that is your electronic flash sync speed. At that speed,(or slower) your shutter curtains will both be open fully. At higher shutter speeds, if you attempt to use an electronic flash, part of the frame will be dark. I did this once with my old manual Minolta and got nearly a whole roll of film with half-frames. (but they were perfectly exposed half-frames)

ISO ratings are the same for film and digital.
Manual film cameras are what many of us learned on, and you really have to pay attention to what you are doing, because mistakes won't show up until you process the film, and that may be too late. I think I probably took my best photos with that old Minolta and Kodak Tri-X B&W film.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018, 6:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi Phil,
... I don't have a green 'A' on my lens, but the '22' on the aperture ring is green. I can't figure out why though. Same usage - by setting the Aperture to the green symbol / number, the camera is able to operate in semi-auto mode.

What does 'LHS' stand for?
... Thanks. john
LHS = Left Hand Side ... goes with RHS too
The scale to the Left of the curved lines mirrors the distance scale of the lens in use

Keep asking Qs mate - it has awakened some of us 'oldies'
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018, 3:12 PM   #14

Hi,
"Manual film cameras are what many of us learned on, and you really have to pay attention to what you are doing..." Yes, I'm getting that feeling, not much automatic here.
No kidding LHS goes with RHS. I would never have guessed. Right, that make more sense.
One of the things, I think I understand, but am not quite sure about, is the use of the term dSLR. I see many people refer to digital cameras as 'dSLR'. My understanding is that SLR stands for single lens reflex. I see people referring to cheap point and shoots as dSLRs. Are they really? Doesn't an SLR have to be a camera where the viewer looks through the lens? Is there such a thing as a dSLR?
... john

Last edited by Shinnen; May 22, 2018 at 3:14 PM. Reason: addition
Old May 22, 2018, 4:11 PM   #15

Quote:
One of the things, I think I understand, but am not quite sure about, is the use of the term dSLR. I see many people refer to digital cameras as 'dSLR'. My understanding is that SLR stands for single lens reflex. I see people referring to cheap point and shoots as dSLRs. Are they really? Doesn't an SLR have to be a camera where the viewer looks through the lens? Is there such a thing as a dSLR?
SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. It distinguished SLRs from TLRs, or Twin Lens Reflex cameras. Both use a mirror (hence "Reflex") to aim the camera, but a TLR has one lens for composing, and a second, similar lens (hence "Twin") for exposing the film and thus, capturing the image. SLRs use the same lens for both composing and capturing, by flipping the mirror out of the way so that the image can be captured. The "d" in dSLR is just to distinguish SLRs with digital sensors from film SLRs.

Mirrorless cameras and point-and-shoot cameras are not SLRs because they don't have mirrors, so they are SLs but not Rs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018, 4:22 PM   #16

Digital SLRs certainly exist. There are quite a few forums dedicated to the various brands, right here on Steve's. Not all digital cameras are SLR though, even those with interchangeable lenses. "Digital Camera" pretty much covers everything for me. (somebody will certainly point out an exception, though)
A lot of digicams are built to look and feel, and operate like SLRs, such as the superzooms and advanced digicams. They feature, usually, a raised, separate electronic viewfinder, which gives a display a lot like what one sees in a SLR viewfinder. Digital SLRs do have a mirror box and TTL viewfinder, so the view is just what it is on a film SLR. (sort of) and the operation is the same, with the sensor exposed to light only when the picture is being taken. (except for live view, which uses the LCD)
I can switch my Pentax K-3 to fully manual mode and use it just as if it were an old time film SLR. (and have, on occasion) For most things, though, I'm a little too lazy, and let the camera take over the technical details.
brian
Old May 22, 2018, 7:04 PM   #17

Hi TCav,
I've never heard of a TLR. Is that because TLRs are normally referred to as SLRs? So, it's an SLR that produces the loud snap sound, like my Yashica FX-3? Do the TLRs make the same sound? Is one better than the other? I assume that the TLR is more expensive?
"Mirrorless cameras and point-and-shoot cameras are not SLRs because they don't have mirrors, so they are SLs but not Rs." Right. Well, it seems like a large segment of the population refers to all digital cameras as dSLRs.
Hi Brian,
" Not all digital cameras are SLR though, even those with interchangeable lenses." Would you go so far as to say that most digital cameras are NOT SLRs? I'm sure my FZ150 is not, but most people would call it that. I was looking around at your K3. That seems like a pretty serious piece of hardware. I'll bet it takes great pictures. Oh, by the way, I came across this while looking for your camera.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...ationFlag=true
... john

Last edited by Shinnen; May 22, 2018 at 7:05 PM. Reason: diction
Old May 22, 2018, 8:21 PM   #18

Quote:
I've never heard of a TLR. Is that because TLRs are normally referred to as SLRs?
No. A TLR has two lenses, while an SLR has one.

This is a photo of my Yashica MAT-124 G Twin Lens Reflex camera. It uses 120 or 220 film for creating 2x2 exposures, and has twin 80mm lenses.

The box on top is open to reveal the focusing screen on top.

Quote:
So, it's an SLR that produces the loud snap sound, like my Yashica FX-3? Do the TLRs make the same sound?
Actually, TLRs make quite a bit less noise. Most of the noise that comes from an SLR is from two sources:
  • The focal plane shutter, which uncovers the film or sensor to start the exposure, then covers it to end the exposure.
  • The mirror flipping out of the way to allow light to pass through to the film or sensor, and returning to allow light to pass through to the viewfinder.
TLRs don't have moving mirrors and use little leaf shutters within the lens instead of the big focal plane shutters.

Quote:
Is one better than the other? I assume that the TLR is more expensive?
Actually, TLRs are simpler, and most TLRs don't have interchangeable lenses, so they're cheaper. And while they're more reliable, they're also bigger and heavier, so they were never as popular.

Quote:
"Mirrorless cameras and point-and-shoot cameras are not SLRs because they don't have mirrors, so they are SLs but not Rs." Right. Well, it seems like a large segment of the population refers to all digital cameras as dSLRs.
... and they'd be wrong.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018, 10:18 PM   #19

A lot of TLRs were brought back from Europe after WWII by returning GIs, including a couple of my uncles, who had Rollei ( I think)TLRs. These had interchangeable lenses, and while the camera bodies weren't too expensive, each time you changed lenses, you needed two matching units, which could add up to a bundle. The medium format film, with decent lenses gave great results, though. There was a definite 'look' to the pictures from them, due to the VF on the top, so they were mostly used at waist level, just as there is a 'look' to most SLR shots due to them being used at eye level.
That is a nice looking lens, especially for the price. Would be a pretty nice portrait lens for film or full frame digital, but a little 'long' for a crop sensor such as I use. Nice thing about the Pentax 'K' mount is that even the latest digital cameras can use the old manual lenses like that, though without all of the automatic features. (other makers have some backwards compatibility, too, but I don't know how extensive it is)

brian
Old May 23, 2018, 5:52 PM   #20

G'day John

With your discoveries re- the 'new' Yashica SLR ...

Try removing the lens - and look thru the viewfinder
You will notice various things ... central split-image focus mechanism; the fresnel lens rings; and maybe some dust spots and small hairs

By turning the camera upside down - and looking deep into the camera body you will then see the bottom side of the focussing screen

By rocking the camera to & fro to change the light falling on it, you will then see the fresnel rings around the central split-image focussing mechanism, and you might also see some dust spots or small hairs [if they are there].

You MUST NOT touch the shiny mirror surface, but you can huff 'n puff the viewing screen to dislodge dust etc if it's there

Hope this helps as well
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote