Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:06 AM   #71

Hi TCav,
Are you sure the phone method works? I looked on line and couldn't find a method that uses a cell phone. I did however find several references to a method that uses reflective card stock in place of the scanner lid.
https://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/0...dard-scanner-0
I tried that, and didn't get good results with it either. I have a feeling that my scanner just isn't up to the task.
... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:15 AM   #72

Alright. I have tried the phone scan again. I think that the first time I didn't have the film pressed against the scanner, so this time I put a glass plate on top of the film and the phone (actually a tablet) on top of that. (I used a whited out photo to get a white background.)
Odd thing is that the converted scans are not in colour, even though the scanner was set for colour? The scan was done at 600dpi.
Quality wise, I'm not sure we can make a comparison, since the film developer's image is more than 10x as large (mb wise).
I think that blowing up my scanned image, significantly reduces the image quality.
Anyway. Here's three images for you to chew on. The B&W ones differ only in that I adjust the histogram levels. The colour one is what I got from the developer.
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...aba14407cc9915
Thanks,
.... john
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:26 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Define "super duper".

Film is transparent and as such, light must pass through it in order to render an image. Typical scanners can't do that without a special attachment (HP calls it a Transparent Materials Adapter.) designed to illuminate the film (either negative or slide film) from above.

And even then, the highest resolution still only has a 24mm by 36mm original to start with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi TCav,
Well, as you pointed out, we don't need poster quality images at this stage; so maybe the printer, an HP Office Pro 8710 will be good enough. (I wasn't able to find anything that referred to using this printer for scanning film.) But this guy https://fstoppers.com/education/how-use-your-dslr-scan-negatives-137248 talks about using your laptop as a back-light for photographing the film, then converting the negative's image to a positive using one's photo editor. What do you think?
... john
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That's an interesting technique. I've not seen that before. If you'll be doing a lot of that, I'd suggest a copy stand to ensure that the camera's lens was squarely over the film. Macro lenses have a VERY shallow depth of field, so if the camera is off kilter in any way, one side of the image could be softer than the other.

You might be able to use that 8710 if you put a smartphone or tablet, with a pure white screen, face-down over the negative on the glass. That would eliminate the possibility of not having the camera squarely over the negative in the setup described in that link.
So, the smartphone idea was my extrapolating something you mentioned. If it doesn't work, I think you need to go back to something like the Transparent Materials Adapter.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:53 PM   #74

Hi TCav,
Yes, probably.
Thanks,
...... john