Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:50 PM   #1

Default Sigma 18-300mm lens doesn't zoom as close as Canon 55-250mm lens

I just bought a Sigma 18-300mm lens for my Canon SL2 so I don't have to constantly switch back and forth between my Canon 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses. However, I quickly discovered that the Sigma lens zoomed to 300mm doesn't magnify anywhere close as much as the Cannon lens zoomed to just 250mm. Can someone explain what's going on? And is there a reasonably priced lens out there that can actually replace those two Canon lenses?

Last edited by ksu93; Nov 25, 2018 at 1:57 PM.
ksu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:52 PM   #2

G'day KSU

Firstly - as this is your first post here ... welcome to the forum, I do hope that you will also offer us some of your images to view and show us the sort of photography that you enjoy

Secondly - to my knowledge there is no Canon 55-250 lens ... it is the 55-200, and

Thirdly - the Sigma 18-300 does focus close up - it comes in to 0.4m / 16" ... so where is the issue with " the Sigma lens zoomed to 300mm doesn't magnify anywhere close as much as the Cannon lens "

A little more information from you would make a big difference
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:22 PM   #3

Default Images

I double checked, and it is definitely a Canon 55-250mm lens. I've had it for about eight years. Here are the sample photos I took. The first one (with greater magnification) is the Canon lens zoomed all the way to 250mm. The second one (with less magnification) is the Sigma lens zoomed all the way to 300mm. I took the pictures just moments apart from the same distance and using the same camera.

ksu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:01 PM   #4

Sometimes the focal length of a lens, especially a zoom lens, will change with the focus distance. There isn't much you can do about it.

As an aside, jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lenses like the Sigma 18-300 try to do a lot and don't do anything particularly well. You'll usually get better image quality from multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote