Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:00 PM   #1

Default Which would you buy: Canon D10 or Olympus E1

I will purchase one of these cameras, but am undecided upon what to get. A local camera shop is offering a $300 rebate on the Olympus making it about the same price. The Olympus also focuses faster and the lenses are smaller with similar stats as Canon.

Looking for some advice on this decision!

drmount
drmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:24 PM   #2

Default Canon

Olympus has about 3-5 lenses for this camera...Canon has about 70 lenses.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:45 PM   #3

This question is almost impossible to answer.

Without knowing how you will use the camera, I have no idea how what I do applies to what you do.

I purchased the 10D almost a year ago. I would still buy the 10D. Canon offers a wide variety of lenses in the ranges that I need. There is also a good base of knowledge about their system that makes it easier to find information I'm looking for.

But since you could be taking completely different types of pictures than I am, half of the above statement is basically useless.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:57 PM   #4

Default good point

good point...I will be using the camera for hobby-type shots, family portraits, sporting events.

drmount
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:13 PM   #5

I don't know about the E-1 focusing faster than a 10D. Olympus has yet to produce a lens with USM/HSM/SWM or similar focusing mechanism as opposed to a purelly mechanical one (meaning, not whisper quiet or ultra fast). Perhaps with more recent technology (as compared to the 10D's) the E-1 would have a more sensitive AF sensor.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:45 PM   #6

Something to consider on the lens end: EF lenses range from very low end and all the way up to mega high end. 3/4 lenses are ONLY pro lenses, so you would have to put out much more money for lenses unless you go all pro stuff with the Canon.
I held both cameras, and like the design and function of the Canon better. Also the Olympus isn't really 'compact' persay, its pretty much the same size and weight of the 10D!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:29 AM   #7

Default New in this game

I am new in this field, and my comments will obviously reflect this, but I was impressed with the lenses that the Olympus offered...they had some bi-spherical component which allowed the lenses to be about 1/2 the size of Canon's lenses but with similar characteristic and less refraction secondary to fewer lens pairs.

drmount
Old Mar 25, 2004, 1:09 PM   #8

The Olympus is only 5 MP vs. Canon's 6.3
The Olympus uses the "4/3 System" which is more of a squarish format which is great for us professionals who are making 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20 enlargements all the time. When using a 6mp camera with the traditional 3/2 format I have to crop about a megapixel off the top & bottom to get it to the right dimensions so the resolution is not an issue for me. However, if you think you're going to do lots of 4x6 prints you would have to crop each picture with the Olympus.
Having said that, I think the Olympus is a well though out camera. There's a button on the body for each function you use a lot. The lenses are great even though there are only a few. It's a lightweight camera and I like the auto sensor cleaner.
The canon has more autofocus points, probably has better metering, and like has been said has a much much wider range of accessories.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 4:12 PM   #9

If you're truly an amateur consider the Digital Rebel and use the difference in price to buy a good flash. Lighting is half the battle in getting good results.

While the 4/3 system has a lot of potential I'd be hesitant to jump onto the bleeding edge. An slr system is a long term commitment (unlike most consumer electronics) and the depth of accessories isn't there yet. In addition the only camera that uses this standard is Olympus (to my knowledge) the other partners haven't shown up yet. This makes the fuss of 4/3's being a cross company standard a little hollow. I can think of a lot of industry standards that only one company ever supported (name two companies that made microchannel based PCs?)

With the Canon 10D (or 300D or Nikon d70/100) you're buying into a known quantity. Two years from now you'll be able to buy flashes, battery grips and lenses in everything from 8mm fisheyes, 500mm telephotos or tilt/shift lenses. You also have the ability to buy from more than one company.

While it might not matter to you, going with the Canon would allow you to reuse accessories and lenses on their film SLRs. It's a way to create a cheaper backup solution rather than two E-1s.

At this point I don't see any upside to going to the Olympus other than you prefer the ergonomics.

You'll note that most everybody is talking about lens selection and accessories - that's because an SLR is part of a system. The body itself is only one part, don't get too hung up on it. Both cameras are excellent and will likely exceed the capabilities of most of us most of the time.

Keep in mind while pricing things out to include a good flash and some lenses with each body.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 5:11 PM   #10

Memorex-Telex made Microchannel PCs as well as IBM but they quit very quickly and nobody ever heard of them so it is a good point.

I think the price and availability (plus choices) of lens is going to either make or break the 4/3.
azpatrick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote