Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 27, 2004, 2:51 PM   #21

The best thing I could suggest, would be to purchase a new motherboard and cpu;

Not sure if you're on SDRam or not, but that could make finding a mobo a bit tougher;

I purchase about 99% of my computer hardware at:
http://www.newegg.com
They have pretty cheap- fair prices.

I'm presuming Radon900 is Radeon 9000;
Everything else should be fine; you might want to look into another stick of memory, at least 256 megs more.

You might want to look into 'jogging' your memory on the computer as well; this is just tweaking the pagefile size to 2x your total installed ram. 512 installed ram = 1024 pagefile

Furthermore, this is a problem on a LOT of computers unless you're very aware of it. You should run a spyware scanner frequently to avoid unwanted processes that can mess with performance.
Run a google for Adaware, and Spybot - Search and destroy.

From a quick estimate- you could get a decent motherboard, CPU [amd] and extra stick of 'SDRAM' for about $230; for a compatible motherboard with SDRAM, an Athlon Xp2500+, and an extra stick of 256 SDRAM, and an appropriate heatsink. (and shipping from newegg)

Feel free to PM me if you need any help or information about doing this.
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 3:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdzi
As to $$, I would rather spend on another camera, and I don't want to pay MS for another operating system that I won't be using. Otherwise, I'd just go for the SUN system and quit pestering you all.
Given this, tidbit of information, unless you just love building/maintaining computers, if I were in your situation, I would buy new. As I said in a previous post, it's amazing how cheap new computers are getting. I've built a few computers. As a matter of fact, the one I'm using is built by me and belive me, it is hard to build a new computer cheaply becuase a big manufacturer such as Dell has economies of scale on their side due to the large volumes they buy and sell. I can understand that you don't want to buy another MS Operating system, but Windows XP is well worth the money compared to Win ME. Windows ME is one of the worst operating systems that Microsoft has released. I'd run linux before I ran ME and I don't mean this as a nock down on Linux for those who like Linux because I happen to be a big Linux fan as well. XP is more stable and it will be better able to take advantage of large amounts of memory.

As far as new computers to buy, get DELL. I work in an IMS deptarment maintaining over 150 Dell Windows and Linux servers and I handle some escalations from first level support. My point is, we use nothing but DELL servers and workstations and they are very reliable. DELL always provides us first rate support. If you go to the DELL refurb section, you can usually find a good deal on a refurbished computer with a new warranty. I bought my wife's cmputer this way 3 or 4 years ago; I've never had to do anything but open the case to put in a network card and the occasionally cleaning.

BTW, and no the place of business I work for is not DELL.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 6:30 PM   #23

Well he obviouslly knows about computers because he's got quite a bit extra tacked into the computer.

And as for your knocking Linux... *WHAP* (in the head with my linux bible)

WinME is horrible- winxp is definately worth it;
However, I say just add the components because you won't find a 200gig,768mb Ram, 52x CDRW, Athlon 2500+, Radeon 9000 computer or it's equivelent or better for 'just' $300... an upgrade would be more feasable budgetwise.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:23 PM   #24

I went back and looked at your original specs. Since your already have a nice video card, 512MB memory, nice big hard drive, fast burner, etc, Huckle's solution might be the way to go. If you were looking at buying a new hard drive, burner, video, then you'd definitely come out cheaper with a new computer. Just be carefull as it is easy to spend the money. Also, I don't know about the newest AMD chips, but older ones can throw out some heat so you'll want to make sure you have plenty of ventilation in your system. I had to put an extra fan in my computer, but it only cost $10.

You may or may not need the extra 256MB. It'll depend on how much editing you do and how many files/programs you have open at once.

Definitely spend the extra on Win XP. The OS is more reliable, can manage your memory better, etc. ME just plain stinks.

Raid is nice, but don't get it unless you have the money to burn. I consider Raid 5 sometimes because if you loose one drive, you usually don't need to restore data and it can deliver some pretty good read throughput to open files quicker. It's definitely not a replacement to backups though. On our servers, when a drive goes out, 99% of the times, we can just put in a new drive with zero down time ... but I have worked all night on systems before recovering data from tape due to failed drives which miserably toasted the OS and all data.

And, I knew if I didn't put my Linux disclaimer in my previous post someone would want to *WHAP* me with their Linux bible.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:37 PM   #25

By the way, if you go the Huckle way, let me re-state a point Huckle made; make sure you do your homework to ensure your memory will be compatible with the new board/CPU. All other components will most likely be compatible.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 1:22 AM   #26

yea... that too =]
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:55 AM   #27

There is a lot more to consider when upgrading then just going out and buying a MB, processor and memory.

First the MB has to fit the case and if that setup is pretty old (I'm not up on AMD products) good luck finding a current MB processor combo that fits an old case. And what about the power supply, is it adequate?

And as far as RAM goes unless the new RAM matches the old RAM again good luck because you are inviting problems. You may get lucky and every thing works or you may not.

Watch out for static (really not that big of a problem, just wanted to throw it in there for the scare factor)

And I'm sure other people have many other concerns to talk about. I looked at Huckles newegg.com link (only briefly) for a barebones system for a price comparison to his listed MB/memory quote and it appears they consider a barebones system differently than other retailers. So one other thing to keep in mind is language. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:16 AM   #28

Oh yea, if you're already spending a couple to a few hundred bucks just for a MB and processor...for just a couple hundred more you can get a decent system, throw in your good components to make it a great system and you get a new operating system.

The cost of a new operating system added to the couple a few hundred makes up for it.

On hucks side...if you build your own, you know exactly what's in there and if a single component fails you are assured that it isn't integrated onto the MB (as with some of these value systems) and you just replace one component opposed to finding yourself in the same situation you're in now.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote