Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 28, 2004, 7:06 AM   #1

Default 3,4,5 MP camera advice: best shatter speed, no Red eyes.

Hello!
I got Canon a80, but returened it to store today. :evil: (red eyes everywere, see http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=23692
Now I'm is search of another digital camera. what I'm looking is (in the order of importance:
1. Real read eyes reduction by means of preflash/flash or strobe/flash.
2. compact size like a80 or less. OK maybe like G3 but not so heavy.
3. exellent shatter speed - I'm going to make a lot af children pictures.
4. image quality.
5. some manual controls,( liked them in a80) but I can live w/o them if i have to compromise.
since I have to buy at the same store my choises are narrowed to canon, nikkon, minolta, fuji and olympus.

I'm thinking of olympus 4000, minolta z1, or better G500, or nikkon 4300, or fuji s5000, or a304/310. can you tell me YOUR experience with that cameras in lights of my criteria? :?:
Have any other suggestion? :?
P.S. I learnd not to beleive to much in readers opinion in sites like cnet, looks too similar, probaply written by brands employees. :roll:
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2004, 2:19 PM   #2

As you know, I went through the same thing. I tried the Oly 4000 and a Sony P10 (I hated that Sony!). They were both just as bad with red eye. People here told me any small camera with the flash close to the lens will have that problem. It seems to be true. What still throws me is my old Canon A50 which is almost identical to the A80 in size and lens/flash layout did not have that problem. I think it is because the A50 has a much weaker flash.

The thing about a pre flash to constrict the pupil to avoid red eye is it often doesn't work. I have many pics of a group of people or children where they all have red eyes. This was during a Christmas play and they were not looking at the camera. A pre flash does no good here.

My little 6 year old girl has beautiful blue eyes. She also has THE WORST red eye I have ever seen. It is impossible to get a flash shot of her without it. My 9 year old is not quite so bad.

I heeded the advice and got a camera with a hot shoe. i got a Minolta A1 and an external flash. I use a bounce and problem is solved. I also got a Canon S400 for a super compact keep it with me/outdoor vaca type shots.

Its not an easy thing to answer. Maybe one with a pop up would be a little better. The new Canon S1 may be one to look at, some others have pop up as well.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 5:51 PM   #3

Default Re: 3,4,5 MP camera advice: best shatter speed, no Red eyes.

As sjm817 (didn't quite) put it: all built in flash units are junk. some worse than others, but none very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by driliagor
1. Real read eyes reduction by means of preflash/flash or strobe/flash.
2. compact size like a80 or less. OK maybe like G3 but not so heavy
A compact camera makes the problem worse - the flash must be small (glare), close to the lens (red-eye), and low powered and/or slow to recharge (uses the same battery as the camera).

In large part, red-eye is a matter of geometry: the solution is to increase the flash-eye-lens angle.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:27 AM   #4

I'm thinking of olympus c750 since it got pop-up flash (wich presumably put it futher from the lens)and a possibility to attach an external flash. But slow shutter response bothers me as I am planning a lot of children pictures. As to compact size- it doesn't have to be credit size camera- olympus size is OK. How is shutter response of this camera from YOUR experience ?
FYI -here's a pictures taken with compact 2 years old KODAK -http://public.fotki.com/driliagor/purim_2004/
as you see- no red eyes. works with preflash.
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote