Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 28, 2004, 2:52 PM   #1

Default Making Prints From a 5 MP

The last time I made prints (4 x 6") with my camera, some of my pictures were cut off. What resolution should I shoot at or what do I need to do to prevent this from happening?
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2004, 6:04 PM   #2

The reason why you had parts of the picture cut off has to do with the aspect ratio (width to height) of the ccd vs. the aspect ratio for 4x6 prints. Most ccd's have a ratio of 4:3, where a 4x6 is a 3:2 ratio. Only thing you can do is crop your pictures in the computer to the 3:2 ratio before submitting them for print. You'll still loose part of the picture of course, but at least you can choose what to loose. Plus if you're thinking about this when your composing the shot, you can purposely leave a little fluff to play with.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 6:05 PM   #3

Its the ratio, not the resolution. A 5MP image is 2560 x 1920 which is a 3:4 ratio. If you get a 4 x 6 print, it doesn't work. 4.5 x 6 is a 3:4 ratio. When the pics are printed, they will crop off 1/2" off the the 4.5". Most places will just lop off .25 off the top and bottom. Some online places let you pick top, bottom or split. I crop them myself before I get them printed.

Some cameras have a 3:2 ratio. Use that if you have it.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 6:12 PM   #4

I do have a 3:2 but its on the highest resolution and I'm trying to save room on my cards because I won't have access to a computer for 10 days. So... I guess I'll have to work around it somehow. I think I will leave a little excess to "play" around with when cropping in Photoshop. Thanks!
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote