Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:01 PM   #21

I don't know your camera enough to directly answer you question. But here are my thoughts.

It is odd that the pictures looked as good as you say on your LCD. I know that when I take a picture if it looks a little bit off I'm dead. It will look worse on the computer.

If it looks great, then it *might* be ok... or it might not. The resolution isn't that good on the camera LCD. But I don't think I've seen something look that bad (the pic I looked at) and still look good on my camera. So that does sound a bit odd. You might try some experimentation at home to see what a good and bad one looks like when you know the answer ahead of time.

If you are outside shooting stationary cars do not use action mode. That probably enables some kind of focus tracking that would be really bad. You should read the manual and see what it says each of those modes do. A good manual will also warn you about using the wrong one (like the focus tracking point above.)

I, personally, take everything in aperture priority (which is "A" in your list.) Be very careful to watch what the shutter speed is in the view finder (itís in the middle bottom.) You want something at least over 1/50th when on the wide end, and 1/400th on the long end (1/focal length, but that is 35-mm equivalent focal length.)

I'm guessing that the flash was used as a fill flash instead of the main flash. If it's fill flash, it's only filling in dark shadows and not being the main light source in the picture. If itís the main flash, it will fire a pre-flash so it can meter the scene and know what setting to use. It should do this while 1/2 pressing the shutter.

You have a setting where the ISO can be set automatically. Try using that and see what ISO it picks (along with what shutter speed.) Higher ISO means more sensitivity to light, but more digital noise (so less detail in the picture.) So youíll get a good shutter speed, but the quality might not be as good.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:50 PM   #22

Keep in mind that "Portrait" mode will give you a shallow depth-of-field.

I'm still learning myself! One thing I've learned I can't do is take photos using a low iso w/zoom. Slow shutter speeds and eek!
I don't have a still enough hand as I would like. To help myself out, I use a tripod when I can. I'm thinking of purchasing a monopod, less cumbersome.

Hindsight always 20-20...I'll never use a camera that I'm not familiar enough with- to an "important" shooting site. I made that mistake once, spent too much time trying to figure the camera out and ultimately was dissatisfied with the end results. All being my fault but a disappointment never-the-less.

I've since taken many useless pictures (and with tripod & without) as a means to learn my camera. Afterwords, simply a matter of deleting the images both on my card & computer.
The nice thing is....it's costs nothing, other than time.
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 4:28 PM   #23

I'll just pretty much second everything Eric said...

One thing I will add is the lighting in these type of arenas is usually pretty awful! Might not look bad to you eyes but trust me it's a lot dimmer than you might think!

Looking through the data on one of your pictures I see as previously mentioned you are shooting portrait mode. Yes, it will give you shallow depth of field but.... that means your lens is "opened up"... i see the len was pretty open at f2.8. Which mean you will need to crank up your ISO. Unfortunately the EXIF data does have that in it... To shoot at f2.8 in that kind of lighting I'm guessing you ISO would need to be upwards of 400???

While tripods might be clumsy in these places, what about a monopod? I use one with quick release... very convienent!

I've never used your model of camera... but give it some practice.... experiment at home... indoors... You'll get the hang of it and you will be getting the results you want! If not.. well post the next batch here and we'll see what we can do...

oh... by the way... NICE CAR!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:53 PM   #24

WOW! I don't know how to thank you guys. Each and every one of you have taken so much time to offer help, thank you!

I will try all that you have mentioned and hope for the best. I really don't believe it is the camera. It seems that the camera takes good pictures INDOORS (experimenting by taking pics in my room) but at the show it was horrible!!

It seems that for me, PASM (A) is the most recommended settings in my case.

I hate the fact that you have to either go online to view the manual or have to read it in PDF format on the computer. Looks like I will need to have it printed onto paper because it's very useful and very annoying having to go to all that trouble to obtain it rather than just read it in front of my on my lap.
camarosource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:18 PM   #25

Ok, it seems that it is doing just fine (perhaps you guy could check via the EXIF if it looks right) at home indoors.

All these were using PASM mode. (A)

all of the following were f2.8, auto shutter speed, 0.0 exposure. And all of them EXCEPT for 800 were "** Better". Oh and the FLASH was set to AUTO. (It went off for each and every picture even though there was a light above the kitchen)

ISO 80 : http://www.camarosource.ca/car_show_...e/100_2710.JPG

ISO 100 :
http://www.camarosource.ca/car_show_...e/100_2711.JPG

ISO 200 : http://www.camarosource.ca/car_show_...e/100_2712.JPG

ISO 400 : http://www.camarosource.ca/car_show_...e/100_2713.JPG

ISO 800 (Pic quality auto changes to "* Good"
http://www.camarosource.ca/car_show_...e/100_2714.JPG
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:27 PM   #26

Mush better on the shutter speed 1/60 rather than than 1/4 you we're getting before. Makes a real difference camera shake.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman
Mush better on the shutter speed 1/60 rather than than 1/4 you we're getting before. Makes a real difference camera shake.
I like the fact that you can SEE what shutter speed it is selecting when it's doing it automatically in (A) mode. Very handy.

Seems that 1/4 is the default and unchangable setting for Portrait mode which would mean it's not really meant to be hand held on this mode.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 11:55 PM   #28

If it really hard codes 1/4 in portrait, that is really silly. I'm not sure I can think of any portrait that I'd want to take at 1/4th.

Oh, my. Kodak did something that they should go out of business for. Their manual doesn't actually say what the modes actually do. It specifically sends you to a web page to see what the modes actually set. And then, to add insult to injury, they put the web address in a graphic! So you can't select the text and cut/paste it into a web browser! Idiots.

I checked out the ISO 100 picture and that looked much better.

I shoot everything in aperture priority (A) mode on my camera. Works very well for me. We shoot different styles of stuff, so it might be worth trying shutter priority (S) to see if is better. But it looks like you've much better off than you were.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 6:11 PM   #29

Default SONY'S?

I am also having a similar problem with my SONY DCS-P52 Cybershot. It's 3.1 MP

When I take close up (especially indoor shots) the pictures come out blurry. It seems I've tried erything in the menu settings to try to correct this, but nothing seems to work. Is it the camera?

Does anyone have a similar problem, or a solution on how to fix this?

Thanks!
Michael Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:09 PM   #30

Close up, meaning shooting relatively close or macro?
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote